Unable to export to BibTeX (non-Latin characters)

I was very glad to discover Zotero and I'd like to express my gratitude to its authors. However, I've encountered a problem that is really critical for me: I can't export to BibTeX appropriately, i.e. after exporting I get the file where Cyrillic characters that I need are replaced by question marks like this:

% BibTeX export generated by Zotero 1.0.0b3.r1

@book{_<8D>;>38O_1980,
address = {??????},
title = {????????? ??????? ??????},
publisher = {???????? ?????? ?? ?? ????},
year = {1980},
keywords = {????,??????,?????????},
pages = {96}
}

The same turnue out to be true for other non-latin characters.

For example:

% BibTeX export generated by Zotero 1.0.0b3.r1

@book{fukuda_hiroko_jazz_2003,
address = {??},
title = {Jazz Up Your Japanese with Onomatopoeia},
publisher = {Kodansha International},
author = {Fukuda Hiroko},
year = {2003}
}

Instead of "??" must be the "東京" (Tokyo) characters.

Is there any way out? If necessary, I may provide any other pertinent information that may help solving the issue (I'm using the Japanese version of Zotero).

Thank you in advance, Pavel.
  • We're not aware of any reliable Unicode implementation of BibTeX. If you could point us in the right direction, perhaps we could help. Otherwise, I would suggest that you export using another format.
  • It is true that the best thing that can be said about support in the 'bibtex' program is that some implementations don't crash when they see 8-bit characters.

Many other bibliographic apps that deal with BibTeX files have an option to use UTF-8. So, unicode output from Zotero could potentially be useful to import into or process with these other programs.

Other programs have automated conversions (with varying success) between UTF-8 and alternative encodings used by 'bibtex'.

I think it should at least be an option to flip (ditto for RIS format). Otherwise, if you want to cater to the least common denominator, you probably shouldn't allow UTF8 in Refer export.
  • I use utf8 encoded bibtex files without a problem in latex/lyx. Right now I manually adit the zotero exported bibtex file in scite to create the utf8 bibtex file.