Right pane tabs do not appear

New to zotero, seems like great app, but right tabs are not there at all as in the documentation. Rut Roh. What gives?
  • Welcome to Zotero and the forums!

The first thing that comes to mind is that not every item has corresponding tabs in the right pane. Links, snapshots and notes do not, even if they are stand alone (unattached to a bibliographic item).

Only parent items (bibliographic items) e.g. books, journals, etc. have the tabs.

If you have more questions, please feel free to check back.
  • Thank you for the explanation, but this is really unclear to the naive user. The first thing I assumed was that I was somehow running an older version of Zotero.

I dragged the URL of an on-line article I was looking at from Firefox's Address Bar down into the middle pane, which the tour video gives me the impression is the right way to create a bibliographic entry. I seem to get something called a "snapshot" rather than a bibliographic entry, and so no tabs in the right hand pane. So how do I turn this snapshot into a bibliographic entry, with all the options it affords?

I'm afraid the tour gives a false impression of the way Zotero actually works.
  • To automatically capture bibliographic information you need to click the icon that apears in the location bar. See when zotero senses an item on a page.

If you do not see the icon in the location bar there is a chance that the site you are using is not supported. To see an example of the intended behavior with a supported site try grabing Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix from Amazon.
  • EWAdams, Welcome to the forums!

Dragging the URL to the middle column creates a snapshot, the same as clicking the camera icon. I didn't see dragging the URL to the middle column addressed in the video, but I certainly could have missed it.

What the video does mention is clicking an icon that appears in the address bar on certain sites. (Perhaps the red arrow is confusing).

To create a bibliographic entry for a web page, click the "create new item from web page icon"