Indexing PDF files with long names - silent fail

When Storing Copy of PDF (or dragging and dropping to Zotero), there is no information on progress and Zotero fails silently when encountering a PDF with long file name (thus importing only a subset of files). When the files names are shorten, Zotero seems to import/index them properly, but, again, with no confirmation message. I'm never sure if the job was done, especially that I'm trying to import PDF from multiple folders.

The Debug ID is D2025326495
  • [JavaScript Error: "Failed importing file C:\[...]\Anan - 2006 this is a very very very long file name to demonstrate how Zotero fails to import the pdfs to the database and fails silently when encounters such a long filename which is to say that it may be conside.pdf" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/attachments.js" line: 106}]

[JavaScript Error: "NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND: Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.copyTo]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/attachments.js" line: 84}]
    OK, this was fixed for web snapshots in 3.0.11 but still needs to be done for other attachments.
  • If long filenames present a problem, perhaps skipping them (and reporting) could be an option?
  • edited January 8, 2013
    They're not a problem. They just need to be truncated. We'll take care of it.
  • edited March 8, 2013
    I think it is a real problem: first of all, because one has to check if the files have been imported one by one. Second, because the behaviour of Zotero seems to be much more weird: for instance:

IMPORTED:
    "Burdio 2007 -- RF tumor ablation with internally cooled electrodes and saline infusion- what is the optimal location of the saline infusion.pdf"

NOT IMPORTED, EVEN IF THE NAME IS SHORTER:
    "Burdio 2009 -- Research and development of a new RF-assisted device for bloodless rapid transection of the liver.pdf"
  • start a new thread with debug output for one of the short pdfs.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
    As for long filenames, what Dan is saying is that the problem is not the long filename, but that Zotero doesn't handle it correctly.
  • Thank you! I submitted (ID = D1996877972).
  • Start a new thread for the short filename one, since it's a different issue.