Zotero cannot start

I'm getting the "There was an error starting Zotero" message. This has been happening for the last 3-4 weeks on my work computer. I asked if any network changes or security software changes had gone into effect recently and was told "no" (although I doubt this answer). I have been using Zotero for like 5 years and have never had any problems. I have uninstalled and reloaded both firefox and Zotero multiple times. I have also gone to the trouble of completely erasing and rebuilding my network profile here at work. I also carried out the procedure for clearing my network cache....none of this has been a permanent solution. When I rebuilt my profile, Zotero worked fora few days...now it is not starting again. Here are the most recent errors that firefox is registering:

Timestamp: 8/1/2012 12:12:04 PM
Error: Image corrupt or truncated: <unknown>
Source File: <unknown>
Line: 0

Timestamp: 8/1/2012 12:12:04 PM
Error: ReferenceError: Zotero is not defined
Source File: http://www.zotero.org/static/js/zotero.1316822452.js
Line: 35

Timestamp: 8/1/2012 12:13:38 PM
Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE) [nsISupports.QueryInterface]" nsresult: "0x80004002 (NS_NOINTERFACE)" location: "JS frame :: resource:///modules/WindowsJumpLists.jsm :: WTBJL__clearHistory :: line 511" data: no]
Source File: resource:///modules/WindowsJumpLists.jsm
Line: 511

With regard to the Zotero "not defined" failure, this is what I see:

var J = jQuery.noConflict();
jQuery(document).ready(function() {
Zotero.pages.base.init(); ------>this line is highlighted

I would appreciate any help...the IT people where I work are completely unhelpful and unconcerned with this issue (which is surprising considering that I work a tier 1 research university!)

Many Thanks
  • Those are zotero.org errors, not Zotero client errors.

Anything else in there? If not, try generating real-time debug output for the startup.
  • The Debug ID is D1028429543
  • Ah, well, that shows this:
    [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630002 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_IOERR) [mozIStorageService.openDatabase]" nsresult: "0x80630002 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_IOERR)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: :: line 1104" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js" line: 749}]
    Can't really tell you what's causing that I/O error, but it's from something on the system, not Zotero. Check your disks, try disabling security software (if you can), etc. (And if you have your Zotero data directory on a network drive, something probably did change to break this. Temporarily disable auto-sync and try pointing Zotero to the local hard drive.)
  • Does this simply mean that Zotero cannot access certain files on my side that it needs to function?
  • No, a permissions problem would generally be a different error. This points to a more low-level failure from the storage system while Zotero is trying to open the database. For example, on a local drive, you might get this when the hard drive was failing. For a network share, it could show up if the network share wasn't behaving properly like a local disk.
  • Okay, everything is fixed. I just pointed Zotero to the local drive. Thanks!