flickering new item entry

I thought I posted this yesterday but can't find it now!

Every time I try to enter a new item the box that opens to enter the DOI or pubmed ID flickers so it's difficult to see the text. The same thing happens when I try to add a citation in word.

I'm using Zotero standalone.

I've just had a new laptop at work and this is when the problem started.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Marcus
  • Can you try disabling hardware acceleration and see if that makes a difference?
  • Sorry, mistake in my post. I omitted to say that I was using Standalone not Firefox, my company wouldn't let me install Firefox but were OK with chrome.
  • Try going to Zotero Preferences->Advanced->Open about:config and setting layers.acceleration.disabled to true.
  • I think it's related to having an Aero theme enabled in Windows. I have the same problem and it goes away when I disable Aero. (Though I hope this gets fixed -- I've been using the classic insert dialog rather than have to change my theme each time I use Zotero.) Anyway, you can try disabling it and see if it works, as a temporary workaround.
  • amc, you're right. It only happens when I have an Aero theme active.

Simon: Disabling acceleration didn't work. I tried to force the GPU to run Zotero via the CPU but that didn't work because the GPU apparently overides the user selection if the program runs on a display that the GPU controls, in this case when my laptop's in the docking station.

If I open the screen on my laptop though and extend me desktop to use the laptop screen as well the problem is solved, so it must me something to do with the GPU.

My delay in reply was because I thought I'd fixed it but it was because I'd been using my laptop screen as an extension, which is an OK workaround.

I'm using the latest version of standalone and chrome.

the laptop is a dell latitude E6420
    intel core i5 processor
    Windows 7 enterprise
    NVIDIA NVS 4200M 512MB graphics card
  • Try setting gfx.direct2d.disabled to true.
  • Simon: That works. Thank you.