Mac plugin problem after installing firefox 11.0

Hi everyone,

I am a big fan of zotero and have recommended it to a large number of scholars throughout the past years. Sadly, I am less talented when it comes to software problems. I have recently updated to Firefox 11.0 on my mac and have since received the following message when I wanted to insert a citation or do something with zotero in a word document:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
[Exception... "'JavaScript component does not have a method named: "getActiveDocument"' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getActiveDocument]" nsresult: "0x80570030 (NS_ERROR_XPC_JSOBJECT_HAS_NO_FUNCTION_NAMED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: _callIntegration :: line 273" data: no]

I have now re-installed firefox as well as zotero and the plugin for word 2008 but the same message still appears when I use zotero. By the way, my word is in Spanish but I didnt have any problem before.

Any help is very welcome!

Enzo
  • Dear Simon,

Thank you very much for your quick answer! I guess you refer to the subtitle "script does not appear...". I tried it out and it doesnt seem to be the problem. I think the problem is not language-related since it worked before as well.

Any other idea?
  • edited March 19, 2012
    This is almost certainly a language-related issue. The reason the scripts don't work is that they are outdated, probably because the wrong scripts are being updated.

Do you have a ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data directory? Do you have a ~/Documents/Datos de Usuario de Microsoft directory?
  • Thanks for getting back on this, Simon!

Yes, I do have this Microsoft User Data directory, actually it is called Microsoft-Benutzerdaten (since my laptop speaks German, but word is Spanish)

And when I install "Word for Mac Plugin 3.5.1 (Firefox extension)", it does not directly go into this file, but after tools - add-ones - preferences - re-install word add-in, it does.

However, it seems like the old word add-in sits somewhere else and is still active. But I cant find and remove it.

Is it possible that the easiest way out is to re-install word?
  • Reinstalling Word won't help, since the scripts are stored in your user data directory instead of with Word.

If you search your computer for files named Add Citation\coa.scpt or Add Citation.scpt, are there copies anywhere else?
  • Dear Simon,

Thanks again for your help. It seems fixed now. I had two user data directory folders (one in German: Microsoft-Benutzerdaten and one in Spanish: Datos de usuario de Microsoft). I didnt see the Spanish folder before so I just manipulated the German folder which had no effect. Updating the zotero add-in for word in the Spanish folder solved the problem.

However, when I want to edit an existing citation, it doesnt recognize the zotero field and tells me to put the cursor on a citation. Anyway, I will look for a solution for that problem in existing fora.

Best wishes
  • @ Simon
    when I want to edit an existing citation, it doesnt recognize the zotero field and tells me to put the cursor on a citation.
    lots of users are reporting that issue - are you able to replicate/fix that issue?
  • It's fixed in Word for Mac Integration 3.5.2, available now.
  • Now my zotero-world is perfect again! Thanks a lot for your quick and efficient help, Simon and Adam!