Report ID 1355543175 Zotero3.0.3 blinks open and immediately closes

Zotero immediately closes after starting.
It will open and function if I use the command line in Run:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\zotero.exe"-jsconsole
It is very "blinky" however- it blinks black squares when the mouse first enters a section of the interface.

The last version of Zotero standalone to work for me was
Zotero-3.0b2.1

The same thing happened with the Zotero-3.0b3.2 update.
Thankfully I still have the Zotero-3.0b2.1 setup file and can re-install it and it works fine.

The following errors/warnings appear in the error console and every click in the program adds a new line:

------------------

Failed to load native module at path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\components-9.0\zoteroWinWordIntegration.dll': (80520012) <unknown; can't get error from NSPR>

Failed to load native module at path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero Standalone\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\components-8.0\zoteroWinWordIntegration.dll': (80520012) <unknown; can't get error from NSPR>

Warning: Error in parsing value for 'clip'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: resource://gre-resources/ua.css
Line: 274

Warning: Error in parsing value for 'filter'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero%20Standalone/chrome/zotero.jar!/content/zotero/tinymce/themes/advanced/skins/default/ui.css
Line: 40

etc
--------------------
I am running Windows 7 64bit and Chrome
  • Every click adds a new line of what? There are no repeated errors in your pasted errors above or in the error report you submitted.
  • edited March 16, 2012
    Hello,
    I have zotero running with the error consule. Forgive me, but they aren't errors, they are warnings that look like this if I click on a pdf:
    Warning: Unknown property 'scrollbar-darkshadow-color'. Declaration dropped.
    Source File: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero%20Standalone/chrome/zotero.jar!/content/zotero/tinymce/themes/advanced/skins/default/content.css
    Line: 28

or

Warning: Error in parsing value for 'clip'. Declaration dropped.
    Source File: resource://gre-resources/ua.css
    Line: 274
  • edited March 16, 2012
    OK, those are irrelevant (and just come from the third-party note code that Zotero uses).

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling Zotero Standalone? You might also try deleting the localstore.rdf file within the Zotero Standalone profile directory (which is one level above the default Zotero data directory location). (If you had Zotero for Firefox installed previously and told Standalone to share the data directory, make sure you manually navigate to the Standalone profile directory indicated there, since "Show Data Directory" would put you in the 'zotero' directory within the Firefox profile directory).
  • edited March 16, 2012
    I previously haven't actually deleted or uninstalled the program, I have just been installing updates over the top off.
    I deleted the localstore.rdf above, uninstalled and reinstalled and I get the same problem.
  • Uninstalling Zotero shouldn't affect your data. Just don't check the box to remove your data. Obviously, make sure you have a backup for good measure.
  • Same thing happens.
    I appreciate your help!
  • Temporarily disable auto-sync in the Zotero preferences (if you can access them), close Zotero, move the Zotero data directory to another location (if it's within the Standalone profile directory), and delete everything in the "Zotero/Profiles" directory. When you next start up Standalone it should create a new profile directory, which might help. You can then close Zotero, move your Zotero data directory back inside the profile directory, and re-enable auto-sync.

If that doesn't work I don't think we'd have much to suggest—something is clearly wrong on your computer, but this isn't a general problem with Zotero.
  • edited March 16, 2012
    When I first deleted the data directory and I opened zotero again, it it worked in "blinky" mode (black flashes in the the different frames of the interface on mouseover). When I put the data folder back in, it wouldn't start again.

I backed up everything and deleted everything associated with Zotero and uninstalled it. I installed 3.0.3. It again works in "flashy" mode when it opens after the install program asks if I would like to start Zotero now. When I close and try to reopen, it does not start.

I installed Zotero-3.0b2.1 again, restored my data and it works fine again. I will continue to use the old version as it suits my needs for now.
    Thanks for your time.
  • While that's obviously your call and I understand you're busy, you should be aware that there have been multiple bug fixes since the beta version - if you encounter any of those bugs while using an old version, obviously we can't help you.
    Also, if no one else reports this and you don't help troubleshoot, this won't get fixed.
  • If someone is willing to take the time to help, I will work with them. I'm not sure what I should try next.