Zotero standalone 3.0 segmentation fault

About every second time I do anything with the Zotero plugin buttons in LibreOffice (eg insert citation, edit citation, edit document preferences), the Zotero standalone application crashes (but not LibreOffice); this makes progress very slow ;). When running Zotero from the command line this is what I get:

oliver@hubert:~/bin/zotero$ ./run-zotero.sh
###!!! ABORT: X_GetProperty: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter): file /builds/slave/rel-m-rel-xr-lnx64-bld/build/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 190
###!!! ABORT: X_GetProperty: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter): file /builds/slave/rel-m-rel-xr-lnx64-bld/build/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 190
Segmentation fault

I'm running Kubuntu 11.10, KDE 4.7.4, LibreOffice 3.4.4, Zotero 3.0.3, kernel 3.0.0-16-generic x86_64. I've tried reinstalling the LO plugin a few times to no avail.
  • I know what part of the code is causing this, but no one else has reported this with Zotero 3.0.3. All I can think of is that you have a window that's opening and closing very rapidly, and there's a race condition as a result. In any case, I'll try to fix this for 3.0.4.
  • I receive the same message when running Zotero standalone from the command line. The initial "Document Preferences" window appears and the application crashes whether I attempt to change anything and click OK or not. It takes about 5 seconds before the crash.

I am running Arch Linux 64bit, KDE 4.8, Firefox 11, LibreOffice 3.5.1.2. I have removed both plugins from Firefox in an attempt to troubleshoot by installing the standalone.
  • technatica: would you mind giving the 3.0 branch XPI a try?
  • 1. Uninstalled plugin for LibreOffice using the Extensions Manager.
    2. Installed 3.0 branch XPI from link provided.
    3. Installed LibreOffice plugin from website.
    4. Opened LibreOffice document and inserted 11 citations and successfully built the bibliography.

This appears to have corrected the issue. If there is anything else I can do to assist, let me know. I am never away from my computer for long and I am happy to give back to worthy projects.
  • Is there any chance of getting a standalone build with this fix in it?

I am wanting to move to Chrome as my web browser.
  • No, there aren't currently any dev builds of Standalone, so you'll have to wait for 3.0.4.

Alternatively, you can actually use Zotero for Firefox in connector-server mode.
  • I just upgraded to standalone Zotero 3.8.0.2 x86_64 running on Arch Linux and started getting segmentation fault. Previous version was working fine with no issues. I am not sure if some other Archlinux update, possibly a d-bus patch, broke this. See this Arch Linux bug number for what maybe is the same problem https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30573 but it was closed. Not knowing if the issue is between archlinux or zotero, i am reporting the ticket into places - zotero forum and archlinux bugs
  • edited July 11, 2012
    I have the same problem as hoteit. I tried downgrading dbus and dbus-core but didn't work. Any idea what may be causing this??
    I'm also using Archlinux 64bits.
  • I have the same problem that hoteit and boina were mentioning.
  • I have same problem. When i execute zotero crash and it give me a segmention fault message . Any idea?
  • It is somehow a building issue. If you clone the git and build yourself, it works. If you are on Arch, use the -git package in AUR.