Vertical Layout

Treat this as a 'bump' on a feature request. After a search I saw a passing reference to a request for a vertical layout instead of horizontal. I couldn't find a full post on this, so I thought I would pass on my version of the request with an explanation.

Take a look at the Zotero web site. It is pretty typical in that it is sized for about 800px wide. Unfortunately, monitors are increasingly wide screen in aspect ratio. This is true for both laptops and LCD desktop monitors. The wide screen aspect means that modern 'big-screen" (17 inches plus) monitors actually have less up and down space than the 17 inch monitors of yore. On the other hand, they often have a much wider display area while they only need 800px to display the full width of many web sites. The bottom line is that there is wasted space left-to-right, but that zotero takes up some of my limited top to bottom area.

It would be neat if the three windows could be laid out in a column, one over the top of the other.

I know that you have quite a user community, and that you must get quite a few feature requests, so thanks for listening, even if this doesn't make it to the top of your list of features.
  • I agree with emellaich. The amount of web page scrolling and/or Zotero resizing gets tiring after a while.
    The other alternative (if at all possible) would be a separate window for Zotero. I know cyclone 3 is built using XUL and it offers a separate window.
  • I've bumped this request repeatedly. Glad to see that there are many others who would benefit from this feature.
  • I find the layout equally frustrating but for different reasons...and I have a different suggestion. The current layout works so-so for web searches and adding new references. But for working with my whole collection to go through references, add notes, etc. - basically general research - I want a full window application. So I maximize zotero in the browser window and find much wasted space top to bottom. And frustratingly, I can't minimize the left-most panel to make the center panel large enough to actually read authors/titles from the center panel and my notes on the left. Everything is squashed.
    It seems like a solution to everyone's requests is to have flexible layout configurations - either a predetermined set (like thunderbirds options for arranging panels) or having each panel as a widget that you could drag to different locations - like items on a google home page.
  • Agree with the feature request for vertical layout!

Keep up the excellent work
  • It was me Nicolas who had posted this recent Vertical Layout request but since I am not too familiar with blogging I understand that it didn`t get through. Thank you Emellaich for reinforcing the request, and thank you to all of you for adding up.

I also suggested a flexible separate module type of system like Winamp, or the palettes in Photoshop, that would make it very handy.