Style Request: Northeastern Naturalist

I would like to request a new CSL style be created for the journal, Northeastern Naturalist.

The most similar existing CSL style is The Journal of Wildlife Management.

Journal article: Northeastern Naturalist uses complete journal name while the Journal of Wildlife Management uses abbreviation.

Chapter: Northeastern naturalist places page numbers for chapter after the chapter title, places editor in parentheses and abbreviates, includes the foreign country of publishing company, and includes the number of pages in book at the end of the citation.

Book: Includes foreign country of publishing company and total number of pages placed at the end of the citation.

Website and Thesis/Dissertation: I couldn't find an example of these two citation types for The Journal of Wildlife Management, but below I have included examples of each citation type as well as formatting guidelines provided by Northeastern Naturalist:

Bickham, J.W. 1983. Conservation and human values. Pp. 96–106, In C.M. Brown-Cox, S.M. Chambers, B. MacBryde,and W.L. Thomas (Eds.). Conservation for the Twenty-first Century. Vol. 1. Benjamin Publishing Oxford, UK. 722 pp.

Brodie, E.D., Jr., and E.D. Brodie III. 1980. Differential avoidance of mimetic salamanders by free-ranging birds: The
effect of temperature. Science 208:181–182.

Conard, H.S., and P.J. Redfearn. 1979. How to Know the Mosses. Wm. C. Brown, Dubuque, IA. 302 pp.

Smith, J.B. 1941. The spruce-fir forests of North America. Ph.D Dissertation. University of Maine, Orono, ME. 126 pp.

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). 2000. Gulf of Maine current data: 1990–1999. Available
online at http://www.noaa.gov/gulfmaine/currents. Accessed February 14, 2007.

Literature Cited section

Format citations as hanging paragraphs; only one paragraph return per citation (at the end) and no tabs or multiple spaces.
Names of authors should not be fully capitalized, e.g., … R.G. Smith … not … R.G. SMITH
Substitute initials for author full first and middle names, with a period after each initial and NO space between initials, e.g., R.B. Smith
Note sequencing of author names and initials and comma before the “and” … Smith, Sr., A., B.B. Brown, Jr., and C.C. Gold III, 2000.
If author names are identical for multiple articles, repeat names of authors rather than using an underscore.
Remove spaces in journal volumes, issues, and pages; e.g., Smith, A. 1981. Article title. Copeia 54(1):83-87.
In titles of books, capitalize the first letter of each word, other than words like “and, by, for, from,” etc.
For titles of articles, reports, dissertations, and theses, only capitalize the first letter of the first word and proper names.
For titles which have a colon, always capitalize the first letter of the first word after colon.
Use full journal names rather than abbreviations.
For publishers of books, reports, etc., list city, state or province (postal abbreviations), and foreign country.
For theses and dissertations, list the academic institution, city, state or province (postal abbreviations), and foreign country

Thanks for your help in advance.
  • do you have a link to a style guide online and if possible a journal article to consult?
  • What I've included in the original post is all I could find for a style guide, but here is a link for the NORTHEASTERN NATURALIST - INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTHORS pdf that I got it from:

http://www.eaglehill.us/programs/journals/nena/NENAauthor.pdf

and here is a journal article from Northeastern Naturalist:

http://waingerlab.cbl.umces.edu/SupportingLiterature/Stressor%20Response%20functions/Stinson_ETAL2007_SpeciesDiversity_GarlicMustard.pdf

Thanks again.
  • thanks - won't happen immediately, but it's on the list.
  • OK, a style is now up, should work quite well, only two exceptions
    1. Zotero can't to the number of pages of a book for book chapters (they will be displayed correctly for books, thesis etc.
    2. Zotero can't change the way locations are displayed - it just prints whatever is in the place field.