Web Page Selection

- Is there a way to add "Web Page" as a category selection from the green plus sign? If I print a PDF of a webpage and bring it into Zotero, it seems that the only way to categorize it as a webpage is to categorize it as a "Document"or something else, then on the side pane, select a pull-down to "Web Page."

- Would be nice to be able to create your own category.
- Also to rearrange the items to/from the "quick list" or delete some... I don't use most of the categories.
- Quick buttons to do some of these from the tool bar would be good as well.

Thanks a lot!
  • 1. no. Standard procedure for getting a webpage into Zotero is to use the "Create New Item from Current Page" button.
    2. won't happen anytime soon (if ever) - custom item types are a nightmare for data-sharing, citation styles etc. and even if they existed it would almost always be a bad idea to use them.

Can't say anything about customization and quick buttons. An ideal workflow with Zotero minimizes manually created items.
  • Thanks Adam.. any way to at least get the "Web Page" category added to the Green arrow pull-down menu. Looks like all other categories are there, save the Web Page.. Thx.
  • The Webpage was removed as an option on purpose because it led people to misunderstand and not use the "Create new Item from Current Page" feature.

Devs recognize that there is a trade-off (i.e. users like you have to take the extra step of changing the item type) but consider it worth it, so no, this is likely not going to change.