[Create New Item] missing from Standalone - and a workaround (Chrome)...

1st of all, I'm grateful for all the work put into Zotero which I benefit from on a daily basis.

As far as I know, the icon [Create New Item from Current Page] has never been working in the Standalone and it is also missing in the recently released v. 3.0b1.

I believe it is by default that, under Preferences, the option [Automatically take snapshots when creating items from web pages] is already selected, but the option is not implemented.

It was reported in this Standalone "Category" but remains unanswered (http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/16470/create-new-items/). I hope it will be implemented soon and an acknowledgement of the issue would be great (my searches here haven't yielded anything).

Another frequent feature I miss is the option to save highlighted items from a page to Zotero Standalone. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know.

I'm using Standalone 3.0b1 and Chrome (13.0.782.112) with Zotero Connector 2.999.1.

You may all be aware of this workaround but I only just realised how to go about taking a Snapshot of a page in Chrome.

-1-
In Zotero Standalone navigate to where you want the Snapshot and create a new item (e.g. File -> Forum Post). This item is also used by Zotero for Webpages.

-2-
In Chrome, grab the "globe" icon (represents 'Site information') and drag it to the Zotero icon on the Windows 7 taskbar (assuming you cannot see the Standalone). When the active window changes to Zotero move and release the cursor on top of the Webpage item just created in Step 1 above.

-3-
A Snapshot with a weblink will have been created and all that remains is to give the new item a meaningful name and any other details you may require (e.g. notes).

It would be great to get confirmation from a Forum moderator that the two shortcomings of the Standalone are already registered and - hopefully - will be remedied in a release coming soon.

:)
  • edited August 24, 2011
    Pachuco, have you tried right-clicking anywhere on the page in Chrome and selecting "Save Zotero Snapshot from Current Page"?
  • edited August 24, 2011
    I don't get that option...

http://postimage.org/image/28im2th5w/

Any suggestions? (e.g. any logs, conflicts with Chrome extensions, etc.?)
  • Are you sure your Chrome connector is up to date? If so, try disabling other extensions, and if that fails, create a report ID.
  • > Are you sure your Chrome connector is up to date?

Yes, it's the same you link to.

> ..., try disabling other extensions...

The Chrome extension "Bookmarks Menu" makes the Standalone right-click option disappear. That's great - nice to try this feature for the first time :)

Is there any way to add to the Standalone selected text only?

Thanks for your help, Simon. Much appreciated!
  • Hmm, adding web pages with Standalone works for me now, but didn't before the latest update. Though I'm on a Mac.

http://f.cl.ly/items/46242C2m3u3V231g251y/Screen shot 2011-08-24 at 1.05.10 PM.png
  • I am having the exact same problem and also tried these suggestions to no avail. Any help is appreciated.
  • have you tried right-clicking anywhere on the page in Chrome and selecting "Save Zotero Snapshot from Current Page"?

If you're not getting that option, make sure you have the most recent version of the Chrome Connector and Zotero Standalone is open and you have all other Chrome add-ons disabled.
  • Thank you for mentioning the right click menu! This function was originally a menubar in the firefox version, so that's what I was looking for. Being able to save webpages so quickly makes Zotero much for useful for me.
  • That option will be moved to a more visible location in future versions of the Chrome and Safari connectors.
  • My problem is the converse: I can save a web page as an item to Zotero, but it always includes a snapshot, even when I don't want it to (and despite the fact that the "automatically take snapshots when creating items from web pages" is _not_ checked.) Do others have this issue?
  • That's currently not possible in Standalone. Will be in the future.
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/21815/chrome-connector-for-zotero/#Item_11
  • I "lost" zotero either when I added Chrome OR when I added a plug-in in Firefox. I did it on the same day. I'm so discouraged. I'm writing Chapter 2 of my dissertation and I'm going back and forth between weeping and numbness. It had all of my saved research journals and their notes. I tried a " system restore" and it only took me back 5 days-with no luck. Any other suggestions?
  • start a new thread, this seems unrelated.
    In that, provide some more detail: Which Zotero are you using? When you say "lost" - what does that mean? An empty library, or Zotero doesn't open anymore?

It is very unlikely that you have actually lost your Zotero data, that's pretty hard to do and virutally impossible by accident.

(That said, if you're writing a dissertation and you don't have periodic and automatic back-ups of your entire harddisk to an external HD you're setting yourself up for nervous breakdowns, Zotero or not).
  • edited June 4, 2013
    Hi, I have the same problem. I found the error message below in the general preference of Zotero Connector: "Java Script Error: missing property translator ID in translator metadata JSON object in an unidentified" {file chrome extension :// ...gibberish../zotero/connector/js.line:403)} ... I couldn't copy and paste so I just typed this up, os "gibberish" portion is filled with numbers and letters.

Please help.

I tried everything outlined in http://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues

I use the latest versions of zotero standalone, extension, and I'm having this problem on Chrome. It used to work perfectly until recently. I use PC Windows 7.
  • Hi, I have the same problem.
    What problem would that be? Unless you don't have the option to "Save Zotero Snapshot from Current Page" in the right-click context menu, please start a new thread and explain clearly what the problem is.