Bluebook Styles

OK, I got the copy of the Bluebook Luis sent me (thanks!). Now for the first question:

It seems there are in fact two Bluebook styles: one the in-text style for practioners, and the other the foootnote-based style for law reviews and such.

If that's right, what should I call each of them? Are there common names for the variants?
  • I would suggest calling one Bluebook--Practitioner and the other Bluebook--Law Review. They are very different in their intended uses, and there are significant differences in the styles.
  • I've been totally swamped with other work, and so haven't had the time to get very far with this, but when things clear up a bit soon, I will get back to it.

How about if I call the two style files "bluebook-professional.csl" and "bluebook-academic.csl" then? Unless I hear any objection, that's what it'll be. I'll include an explanation in the description section of the metadata for the style.
  • Likely this is already settled, but I'll chip in to agree that the styles should be named "bluebook-practitioner" and "bluebook-law_review"--these are the common names for the two styles. Sticking with that terminology, though a fine point, might encourage confidence in the user.

See, e.g., p. 45 of the Bluebook: "In law review pieces, all citations ... For an explanation of citation sentences and clauses in practitioner's documents, see Bluepages B2."
  • OK, I'll change it Will.
  • I just discovered Zotero today, and it is amazing, even without more output styles. I am really eager for a blue book output style, even a small version just for articles and cases. any Idea when that might occur?
  • I expect sometime this Summer. We're currently looking at finalizing the style language, and as a part of that process, I will make sure to finish the BB style.
  • The BB style isn't out yet is it?
  • I've checked in a preliminary version of the law review version to the style repository, but I'm waiting on some bug fixes on the Zotero end to finish and announce it.
  • yaye!! really need something that works with the blue book
  • Hi, is bluebook (law review) available yet?
  • Wondering if there's any update on bluebook?
  • Continued on another thread. Closing.
This discussion has been closed.