Local stored Item URLs

Hello,

Sente has an option to link directly to an item or entry in Sente. If I klick the "option" key on OSX and "drag&drop" a specific item to Devonthink, a link is provided to Devonthink not the bibliography.

For example I use Devonthink and I have PDFs, notes and so in Devonthink while reading a journal article which metadata I added to zotero.

Now I want to provide a link to Devonthink who points to the zotero entry in the database like "zotero://<item>/<id>" or so and when I klick in Devonthink on the link, Zotero starts an show the specific item/entry.

I hope you know what I mean and sorry for my poor english :-)

Andreas
  • Hi. I'm interested in this, too. What about the links into Zotero?

Can a link be generated for a specific Zotero entry, which I can then embed in a text file or an Evernote note?

Thanks very much,

H Gray
  • as of now you can create links to reports of Zotero items, but not to the item itself in the way Andreas describes. Those links you can see in the address bar when you create a report for an item.
  • edited June 17, 2011
    Adam, hi. Thanks for your prompt reply. To tell the truth, I haven't used Reports before.
    Following your suggestion, I've been able to grab the link and then make a hyperlink that works in Mac's Textedit. (not in MS Word) Can't get it to work in Evernote...

However, if you don't mind my saying so, a link to a Report does not strike me as especially useful. For instance, the Report doesn't give the full cite nor a link to the entry, e.g., my notes or Zotero's gateway to the source/pdf itself. Pls let me know if I misunderstand the potential here...

(Now that I think of it, even the plug-in for MS Word does enable me to go from the footnote citation back to the Zotero entry. I can view the entry via Edit Citation, but that's a dialogue box, not a way of getting to the Z entry.)

Well, I guess I'm pretty surprised that more people haven't asked for this. It seems much more cumbersome to go from a Doc or Note (without this kind of link) and go to Firefox, open Zotero, and search for the relevant entry.
  • edited June 17, 2011
    While I see what Andreas is saying, I don't think that's actually feasible.
    Which item you have selected in Zotero is not treated as a URI and so I don't think there would be any straightforward way to create a link that opens Zotero to a specific item.

edit: this was incorrect- see Dan's answer below.

Reports, btw., do include the text of notes on the bottom.

If you need direct links to attachments, you can get those the same way as for reports.

From within the word plugin you can use the Zotero Quick Look plugin, which allows you to open pdfs and notes - works much better on Mac or Linux, but I believe it does work for WIndows:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/zoteroquicklook/
  • so I don't think there would be any straightforward way to create a link that opens Zotero to a specific item.
    zotero://select/items/<library_key&gt

(Generate a report from an item to get the library/key part.)
  • Hi. Sorry to be so unfamiliar with Z, but how do you generate a direct link to an attachment? (per Adam) It's not done with the right click menu, is it?

Also, Dan, I see that the report shows the library_key. But presumably you mentioned that for programming purposes, not for somebody like me?

Both - thanks for all your work on this
  • edited June 17, 2011
    oh cool! sorry about that.

edit: No Dan means that you can actually open Zotero and select an item using that type of link. You just need the item ID and currenlty the easiest way to get that is to create a report.
  • And as for a direct link to an attachment - you open the attachment in Zotero and copy the link from the address bar.
    You'll get something like this:
    zotero://attachment/4451/
  • edited June 17, 2011
    Adam, thanks for your patience. Ok, I got it. (I wasn't "opening" the attachment before, just scrolling over it.)
  • you need to actually open the attachment.
  • edited June 17, 2011
    Note that zotero://attachment links using numeric ids are not consistent across machines (or even necessarily the same machine, if you, say, do a Restore from Zotero Server). zotero://attachment needs to be updated to use library/key pairs.
  • edited June 17, 2011
    In the Mac OSX, do you happen to know which apps can (be adapted to) open these attachment links? I see that the link can be put into FF, but anywhere else?

Perhaps these attachment links will be useful, though it does seem somewhat convoluted to generate them. (As opposed to a "Copy Link" kind of shortcut.)
    Btw -- I see that Zotero entries can be dragged directly into Evernote (as in TextEdit), so now I just want to get a link back to the attachment...

(Also, I still don't see how to open the Z entry, i.e., citation info, at all.)

thanks!
  • Links to items look like this, where the last part comes from

zotero://select/items/0_E6CM2FVM

I don't use a mac, but have a look here maybe
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/471581/how-to-map-a-custom-protocol-to-an-application-on-the-mac
    (the custom protocol of course being zotero://)
  • Thanks, Adam. I know somebody who writes Applescript for Evernote, so maybe he'll try to do something for linking to Zotero.
  • @hgray: Let us know here if you have something working for Evernote. It may be tweaked easily for other apps on OSX. It would be great to have workable URLs to Zotero items from a whole range of apps.