Loading Zotero on demand

Using the latest version on Fx4, I have noticed that Zotero load automatically as soon as I open the browser. This means that if I configure it "as tab", a Zotero app tab appears (popping up the tab bar which otherwise would be hidden, see "Always show tab bar" Firefox preference); if instead I configure Zotero to act as a panel, the Addon bar will appear.

I would just like to use the Zotero toolbar button to active it (possibly as a tab), but Zotero loads anyway before that, even if I don't use it. It actually seems to be a feature, as it is coded in overlay.js.

Is there any way to avoid this?
Couldn't Zotero be completely inactive until called for the first time?

This might also avoid the constant writing on the database which happens every time I open the browser - I keep a backup of my profile and that single file changes every day.
  • edited April 5, 2011
    This might also avoid the constant writing on the database which happens every time I open the browser
    The writing is the daily checks for updated translators. You can disable that, but saving from sites will break as sites are updated and revised translators are needed.
  • Automatic updates are of course better, but if you disable the automatic translator updates, you'll still be able to update manually from the Zotero prefs.
  • edited April 6, 2011
    The writing is the daily checks for updated translators. You can disable that, but saving from sites will break as sites are updated and revised translators are needed.

This is not related to automatic updates. Auto-update can be enabled or disabled, but the database is modified every time I start Firefox, even if I just open and close it.

In any case, that would just be a problem of inefficiency, while my question is mainly about intrusiveness. Zotero should not force interface elements on me unless I actively start it.

• the database is modified every time I start Firefox, even if I just open and close it
    Ah, actually it used to be due entirely to the translator updates, but it looks after a relatively recent change the DB is now written to each time. It could probably be avoided.

In any case, Zotero does not "load" each time you start Firefox. There shouldn't be any difference between pane mode and tab mode in this regard—there's some initialization at startup so that Zotero can perform site translation, etc., but item data isn't loaded until you open the pane or tab.

As for forcing interface elements on you, Zotero in tab mode in Firefox 4 is just like any other app tab. That's how they work. For pane mode, there's a very particular reason it displays the add-on bar, and an easy workaround if you don't want it to.

In any case, there's another thread on app tab behavior. Post there if you have additional comments on that.
  • Thanks for the clarifications, I will move to the existing thread.