Bluebook: WinWord not working after updating to FF 4, Zotero 2.1.1

I just upgraded to Firefox 4.0 and Zotero 2.1.1. To be sure I also updated my WinWord though I wasnt sure if this is actually new

For WinWord documents, the Bluebook style now has a lot of problems with the Case item type. For lower court opinions, only the case name shows up without any cite

EEOC v. Joe’s Stone Crab, .
Stout v. Potter, .

For Supreme Court opinions, the case name shows up twice

Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins, Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins, 490 U.S. 228 ( 1989).

This occurs both in existing updated documents and new documents. The Case item type in other styles looks ok, and journal articles in BB seem to be ok.

thanks

Isis
  • could you look at this in
    chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul
    just to make sure this is a style problem.
    Then, while I deal with a lot of style issues, I've kinda promised myself not to get into law styles - which are just bizarre and incomprehensible to me - so if someone else could take this?
    Isis - you should also probably change the title of this post to inlude Bluebook.
  • I understand distaste for Bluebook, but this is pretty straightforward. It's just internal to the initial cite, and was fine before this change.

Did you want me to look at the link or is that what should be ignored?
  • yeah ignore the linke that was for a different thread.
  • yes, but I'd have to understand how the style works in order to modify it without causing other problems and I just can't get myself to invest in that...
  • What should I do? The style is useless right now, and i need it. Should I roll back to the earlier Firefox? Is Zotero still supporting BB?

I also think it might be helpful to have a discussion with users about what the BB style should look attempt to do. IMHO some of the problems were caused by trying to make it more perfect than it had to be. A number of things can simply be left to users to do by hand (like the whole case history, more on this as needed). Other things, like getting the basic core citation right can't
  • depends how quickly you need it - I figure someone with the ability to do some light coding and an interest in BB must exists - I mean, there's obviously Frank (fbennet), but he has already coded all of csl 1.0 so I don't know about his level of motivation.

As for "supported" - styles in the dev section are essentially community supported, but my sense is that there is a strong desire to have a working BB style.
  • Also could you explain what you would like me to do with with

chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul

thanks

isis
  • Dead line emergency bad. What is the best way to rollback -- Firefox first then Zotero or vice versa? Has my library been change irreversibly? I have a backup from a few days ago, not perfect but should do. Can I use the online backup?
  • paste into your URL bar like a www address
    select bluebook on the top right, select a case reference in Zotero, see if the same problems as in Word exist.
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data?s=export#restoring_from_the_last_upgrade_backup
  • @Isis: Definitely roll back to 2.0.9.

The current Bluebook style is unmaintainable, and needs to be recomposed. I have a draft replacement to hand that I've used for testing, but its coverage is not sufficient for production. I would be delighted to work with others to fill it out, but immediate deadline pressures and debates over style design don't mix well. For immediate needs, using the old style is the best course.
  • Tried the reference test pane and got the same problems

I am glad to hear you did a major revamp. I am not a programmer but I did look at the code enough to make a few custom changes for myself, and I did think the basic structure was not optimal. So lets talk in a couple of weeks, I would love to participate in the new stye.
  • The problem with case names appearing twice was due to a processor bug. I've posted a new release, and the revised version will appear in a subsequent release of Zotero 2.1.
  • edited March 27, 2011
    @Isis,

I'm curious as to why the cite was not appearing for lower court opinions for you under Zotero 2.1. Can you give an example of the text entered into the fields for a typical lower court judgement? Alternatively, you can send a Zotero RDF export of a lower court item to me on biercenator at gmail dot com.
  • I think the problem was that I happened to pick two that were entered wrong in my database. :(. Sorry!
  • Good news! We're now up to date on fixes to the CSL processor.
  • A related question: if I roll back can I use the BB style available at the repository or should I find the old BB version?

Thanks!
  • Two problems were reported in this thread -- the case name appearing twice, and the reporter name disappearing in subsequent citations. The first issue has been resolved, and the second issue was due to bad input at the user end. You should find that the BB style, in its current form, works as expected with Zotero 2.1.6. If you have any problems, start a new thread and I'll take a look.
  • Frank,

Thank you!
  • Hey folks, I've got one problem with the same set of updates: now the Bluebook Law Review style is spitting out a space before the date in all dates in citations, i.e. "Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 US 205 ( 1972)". I don't know why it's doing this, but it's new post-updating Firefox and Zotero to the latest versions. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Zotero 2.1 is doing the right thing here; there is an extraneous space in the style definition. Give this a try (click the "raw" link, save to your desktop, and drag into Firefox to install).

https://gist.github.com/960245

As I've written above, the current Bluebook style is in need of a rewrite. I'm in correspondence with a law librarian in the US over building a set of sample data for that work. Unless more people join the circle, it will probably be summertime before the new version is issued.