Wrong page numbers in Word

I'm using the Word plugin to add citations. Sometimes (but not always) when I add a citation with page numbers, the wrong page numbers are displayed in the footnote. For example, I added a citation to Edward Pessen's Jacksonian America for pages 67-75. The field code for the citation looks like this:
{ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM {"citationItems":[{"itemID":2623,"locator":"67-75","position":1}]}}
The actual footnote looks like this, however:
Pessen, Jacksonian America, 408

In another case with a different book, it keeps insisting that the page number is 502.

I am able to duplicate the problem in a different work document. I inserted a citation to Pessen with no page numbers and then inserted another citation to Pessen with page numbers. At that point, everything was fine. Then I inserted a third citation to a different work between the two citations to Pessen. That made the last citation go to Pessen, 408.

I discovered where it is getting the page number 408 from. That is the value of the "Pages" field for the reference in Zotero. I assume that field is intended to hold the total number of pages for the book. If I remove the value from that field, then Word has the second page number be blank, no matter which page numbers I add to the citation.
  • To clarify my somewhat long-winded post above:

For second citations using the Chicago Note without Reference List style in the Word plugin, second citations to a work always use the "Pages" field in Zotero (which is presumably meant to hold the total number of pages in the book) rather than the page numbers inputted for that specific citation.
  • edited December 2, 2007
    Any solutions to this? This is a major problem, as I have added sources to two papers and now all the following page numbers are wrong...Now I have to go back an redo manually all of my source page numbers!
  • I don't use Chicago, so I can't say for sure, but I think in the last couple of days they have fixed a number of things. I think the style was updated automatically (if you have the most recent versions of both Zotero and the Word plug in).

In otherwords, check and see if it is still broken. If so, post back.
    It is most definitely still broken. I can modify them if I enter a page number as a note...but putting page number citations in the input area does nothing.

The page number shows up correctly in the Zotero form, but not in the paper.

I appreciate the work on Zotero and it has worked great for me in the past, but this is the kind of thing that can easily stack up to hours of redoing work on papers. It's also the kind of thing that can cause someone to present work that is incorrectly cited, since it show up correctly in Zotero.
  • New versions of Chicago note styles are available at http://www.zotero.org/styles/ (under dev styles). However, they will only work with the Zotero development XPI or a future 1.0.2 release of Zotero, due soon. There is a link "install" next to the style--in version 1.0.2 Zotero will automatically install the style from that link.
    erazlogo

Thanks...I updated using the XPI and added the styles. The error is still there. It seems to happen anytime you change a reference and then go back to the previous (note the bold text is the number of pages rather than the page number cited):
    Joel B Green, The Gospel of Luke (Grand Rapids, Mich: W.B. Eerdmans Pub. Co, 1997), 123.

Ibid., 232.

Robert C Tannehill, The Narrative Unity of Luke-Acts: A Literary Interpretation (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1986), 21.

Green, The Gospel of Luke, 928.
    I'm using Chicago without reference list.
  • Are you sure you're using the new dev style? In the Word plugin toolbar, click the gear button and then select "Chicago Manual of Style (Note without Bibliography) (dev)." Do not select "Chicago Manual of Style (Note without Reference List)," which is the older version.
  • I am getting this same error with OpenOffice and Zotero 1.0.1. I am also using Chicago Manual of Style (Note without Bibliography). Good to know I'm not the only one... I can't seem to find out how to update to the dev version of Zotero.
  • http://dev.zotero.org/svn_and_trac_access#development_xpi

let us know if you still have problems after updating.
  • I have the same problem. I updated both styles and zotero to 1.0.2. I want to use Chicago manual as well (note with bib or full note with bib) but the other styles do not work either. I used dev. style.

This is very frustrating I hope this will be solved quickly.

please help.
  • springchild74--
    Are you using Windows or Mac? Fields or Bookmarks? Which version of Word?
  • HI Erazlogo, I'm so glad you are responding. I'm using Windows XP, Word2003. What do you mean by field or bookmarks? I have problem with all the citations.
  • I haven't been able to reproduce the problem in Word 2004 on a Mac so the problem is not with the style. Perhaps it's the Windows version of the plugin? Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows machine here to test.

On a Mac, the plugin doesn't seem to remember the folder where I get citations--this used to work earlier I think. When I use bookmarks, I get "Compile error in hidden module: Zotero," and I never get to the list of references. But using fields works fine.

In the plugin preferences, you have a choice to create citations with "fields" or "bookmarks" (at least on a Mac). Fields work better with Word, but bookmarks work with Open Office and other programs.
  • I suspect that springchild74 may not actually be employing the new dev styles. In Word, click the gear button in the Zotero toolbar and make sure that you have selected one of the Chicago styles that ends with "(dev)" and that the "fields" radio button is selected.
  • Oh now I see what you are saying, I am using fields, not bookmarks. I never changed defaults so I didn't notice it.

And I am using styles ending with "dev."

Any other ideas?
  • Ok, it's now working somehow. I realized the "refresh" button does not work, though.
  • What do you mean by "the refresh button doesn't work"? If you make a change to a citation and then click refresh, nothing happens?
  • Hi,

I'm considering switching over to Zotero from RefWorks, but I'm having this issue also, and I'm not keen to run a dev version in order to make citations work properly. Is there an ETA for getting the production version of the plugin working?

I really like that there's an active community for this, and Zotero looks great, but I'm hesitant to commit if it's going to be a struggle to keep it updated, etc. as I'm writing my dissertation.

Thanks very much.

(I'm running 1.0.1 on Win XP, using Word 2003, and the Chicago Manual w/ Ref List (Fields))
  • I updated the .xpi and installed the dev version of the Chicago style I'm using; now I get the following error message:

---------------------------
    Zotero - Error
    This version of the Zotero Word plug-in is incompatible with the currently installed version of the Zotero Firefox extension. Please ensure you are using the latest versions of both components.
    OK
  • sean, what I meant was that, after installing new dev styles etc., i clicked on "refresh" button hoping that it will change all the previous errors in citation of pages. it did not refresh. I had to manually insert the citations one by one.

This is kind of painful. I'm going to be working on my dissertation in a year or two, and i hope that zotero will be up and running by that time.

I also wish that MS Word plugin is more friendlier -- I really wants it to have options which will enable me to choose how the books are listed. It seems like right now it's listed in some sort of order which I am not sure what, but it's best when they are listed by dates (new books first), or sortable. I don't want to search each and every time. Ah, i should have posted this to another forum.. sorry.
  • ---------------------------
    This version of the Zotero Word plug-in is incompatible with the currently installed version of the Zotero Firefox extension. Please ensure you are using the latest versions of both components.

I am also getting this error. Running OO with zotero plugin, and zotero version 1.0.2.r2049 in Ubuntu. Any solutions? Already tried removing plugin, restarting OO and adding zotero.oxt again.

I know its the developer version but it was the only way i could get harvard style to work in my doc. Now I can't do anything.
  • This is a comment for the plugin developer(s). Wouldn't it be very helpful for troubleshooting if the error message:

"This version of the Zotero Word plug-in is incompatible with the currently installed version of the Zotero Firefox extension. Please ensure you are using the latest versions of both components."

would be rewritten to show the detected versions of Zotero and the plugin. e.g.

"The loaded version of the Zotero Word plug-in (version 1.0) is incompatible with the currently installed version of the Zotero Firefox extension (version 1.0.2). Please ensure you are using the latest versions of both components."
  • This is a comment for the plugin developer(s). Wouldn't it be very helpful for troubleshooting if the error message...would be rewritten to show the detected versions of Zotero and the plugin
    Yes, and I've created a ticket, but it wouldn't have helped in this case. This was just that people were using the dev plugin without switching to the dev version of the plugin, which was only available on Trac.

The versions also aren't meant to line up, so it'd only be helpful if you thought that you were running a different version from what you were actually running (because of an installation error, for example).