Add by DOI fails for IEEE, AIP, Elsevier journals

Can't get add by doi to work anymore. It seems erratic. Somethings will add, and then later will not. Somethings seem pretty constant, for instance anything from AIP, IEEE, or Elsevier is basically guaranteed to fail when added by DOI. All the articles have dx.doi.org urls that are resolving correctly. I suspected firewall at first, but connection to DMZ did not solve the problem.

I'm on Firefox 3.5.7 with Mac OS X SL 10.6.latest.

For example, this ISSN works: 9780471143239 and this DOI does not 10.1063/1.109059

I love Zotero, please tell me somebody has the answer?
  • I wanted to add that the exact message zotero reports is: Zotero could not find a record for the specified identifier. Please verify the identifier and try again.
  • edited December 28, 2010
    I can confirm that things are not working with these identifiers. Another recent post pointed to a similar issue with using DOIs. I'll be looking into these-- something odd is going on here.
  • Same problem as I noted in that other thread—CrossRef isn't putting a proper namespace on the XML output.
  • But if they're going to break this all the time, it's possible we should just fall back to using no namespace. (We already have a fallback for an older namespace—maybe some (old?) records just don't use any.)
  • Ah yes. I was referring to an even more recent thread, just today. Do we anticipate any problems using no namespace? It seems like it should be safe enough, since everything is from one namespace anyway.
  • It's probably fine to fall back to no namespace if the first two tests for a namespace fail.
  • When I introduce a fallback to namespace = "", the DOI saves fine, but I get a security manager error when using a detected DOI:
    message => Security Manager vetoed action
    result => 2153185319
    name => NS_ERROR_XPC_SECURITY_MANAGER_VETO
    filename => chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translation/browser_firefox.js
    lineNumber => 127
    [..]

This is from an attempt to save the same Applied Physics Letters paper as I did using the magic wand, except now using the address bar button that appears on this very thread.
  • ajlyon: That works for me on the trunk (except for an error saving the snapshot's CSS file).
  • That makes sense -- the SecurityManager issue was fixed in r7350, but 2.1b2 is only r7315. I don't think that it should be a problem in 2.0, so if you're about ready to push b3, maybe the updated DOI translator could be pushed at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.