2.1beta 2 not working in firefox 4 beta 7

it says that 2.1beta 2 is supposed to run in firefox 4 beta, but I just tested in Firefox 4 beta 7 and I get absolutely nothing. It install fines, but if I select Zotero from the tools menu nothing happens. I can enter the preference via about:addons, but it seems that most of the buttons there don't work either.
  • I'm having same problem. The above link doesn't help. Any other suggestions?
  • which OS are you on?
  • It says "Zotero is undefined" at line 319(?).
  • Clear compreg.dat and xpti.dat, restart Firefox, and check again.
  • Done - with same error message as before.
  • That's not a helpful message, I'm afraid.
  • I'm glad it's not just me. Thanks for helping.
  • Dan, I also have the problem of zotero not starting (2.b2) on 4.0b7, Windows 7. I did all what you have suggested on this thread. I am posting the JS error logs from the error console.

Error: Zotero is undefined
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/overlay.js
    Line: 553
  • Again, "Zotero is undefined" isn't a helpful message—that just means Zotero didn't load. We'd need an actual error message, which can generally (though not always) be generated by clearing compreg.dat and xpti.dat and restarting Firefox.
  • Thats the only log I see on the console. However, if I run "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 7\firefox.exe" -console I get the below pasted:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FO
    UND) [nsIFileInputStream.init]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
    " location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/schema.js :: _getSchemaS
    QLVersion :: line 1004" data: no]

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FO
    UND) [nsIFileInputStream.init]" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
    " location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/schema.js :: _getSchemaS
    QLVersion :: line 1004" data: no]
  • kiiroi/tpapa2: Do you see the same error when you start Firefox from the command line (as explained at http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#real-time_debug_output)?
  • I have the same problem on OS X 10.6.5

samurai:Current mronkko$ /Applications/FirefoxBeta.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -P betatest
    [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000c (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_DIRECTORY) [nsIFileInputStream.init]" nsresult: "0x8052000c (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_DIRECTORY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/schema.js :: _getSchemaSQLVersion :: line 1004" data: no]

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8052000c (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_DIRECTORY) [nsIFileInputStream.init]" nsresult: "0x8052000c (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_DIRECTORY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/schema.js :: _getSchemaSQLVersion :: line 1004" data: no]

This is a fresh install of FF4, a blank profile with only Zotero installed. Both are the latest versions downloaded two hours ago.
  • OK, I reproduced this. We'll look into it, but one workaround in the meantime is to go to the extensions directory within your Fx4 profile directory and unzip zotero@chnm.gmu.edu.xpi (which is a zip file with a different extension) into a zotero@chnm.gmu.edu folder (such that you have, for example, extensions/zotero@chnm.gmu.edu/install.rdf). Then restart Firefox and it should work.
  • This workaround works for me.
  • Dan, the fix did not work for me. I also did a clean install and again unzipped the file. I get the same error I was.....
  • the fix doesn't work for me either...

I also have another question in regard to 2.1: Can I use 2.1 and still work together (share a group lib) with other people using 2.0 ?
  • edited November 12, 2010
    Hi Dan, I turned on debugging and got this error message:

MacBook-Pro:~ xxx$ /Applications/Beta/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

[unrelated output removed — D.S.]

MacBook-Pro:~ xxx$ zotero(3): Using data directory /Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/xxxx.default/zotero

zotero(3): Opening database 'zotero'

zotero(5): PRAGMA locking_mode=EXCLUSIVE

zotero(3): pdftotext-MacIntel not found -- PDF indexing disabled

zotero(3): pdftotext-MacIntel not found -- PDF indexing disabled

[unrelated output removed — D.S.]

I then tried your fix, which worked! Thank you very much! Hope you can use the output :)

Another thing: It seems that if you do an "Export library" from Zotero 2.0, you cannot import it into Zotero 2.1B.
    However, if you just copy the "Zotero" directory from a Firefox profile directory with Zotero 2.0 installed, into a firefox profile directory with Zotero 2.1B installed it works fine. (I installed the Zotero beta in a new firefox profile)
  • Work around only works if you delete the xpi file after you unzip it.
  • canderoc, deleting the xpi file makes it work! Thanks!!
  • Canderoc, this fix works for me. Thanks
  • For me it keeps saying translator error.
  • The workaround does not work for me. While it does pop up the Zotero installation upgrade dialogue I receive this error:

(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.createStatement]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: anonymous :: line 292" data: no] [QUERY: SELECT leafName, translatorJSON, code, lastModifiedTime FROM translatorCache] [ERROR: no such table: translatorCache] [QUERY: SELECT leafName, translatorJSON, code, lastModifiedTime FROM translatorCache] [ERROR: no such table: translatorCache]

Zotero asks to send it to developers and I click next but it never seems to send the information.

If I click cancel I get a message my browser opens. Then if I click Zotero under the Tools menu I get: "There was an error starting Zotero."
  • Again, the error in this thread has been fixed. Start a new thread if you have a new issue. I'm closing this one.
This discussion has been closed.