MacWord Integration installation freezes Firefox

Upon being notified of a new version of Zotero (2.0.9) and and a new version of Zotero Word integration (3.0b5). I installed them into Firefox 3.6.12. Running Mac 10.5.8 on a Macbook Intel Core Duo. Firefox however launched but got stuck at the spinning wheel of death. I had to force quit. Repaired permissions, rebooted, still the same. I removed the extension from the firefox application support and all is well. Previous versions of MacWordintegration haven't shown this problem, but at the moment re-installing the current MacWordintegration disables Firefox.
  • How long are you letting it sit? If you are sure it's hanging, can you provide real-time debug output?
  • I was letting it sit for up to 10 minutes. However, I have somehow solved the problem. I disabled several extensions which I had on my system. Then re-introduced MacWordintegration, which worked without hanging Firefox. I then thought I should discover which one seemed to be causing the conflict, and re-introduced them one by one. Strangely I was able to enable them all again, without causing the earlier conflict. So I can't pinpoint whatever was causing the hang. The extensions were mainly download helpers for flash etc. However they all seem to be ok now with zotero.
  • Ok, I looked in the error reports and it says that
    Failed to load XPCOM component: /Users/Ian/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/l89h9wec.default/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/install.pyo

So it may be something to do with that.
  • Thanks Maceasy

I had the same trouble with firefox hanging on installation of the word integration 3.0b5.

I'm on MacOSX 10.5.8 and Zotero 2.0.9.

I disabled all my Firefox plugins apart from Pythonext and Zotero, installed the Word integration and this time it worked fine. Like you I was able to enable all the other plugins and word and firefox both work fine. Weird.

Thanks for the tip!
This discussion has been closed.