How to backup zotero.sqlite with Mozy

I have zotero set to sync my data, but not my files (because I have a lot of attachments and don't want to pay). I'm also attempting to back up my entire zotero folder using Mozy (online backup), which works fine for my data files, but it hangs when trying to back up zotero.sqlite when FireFox is open. It will get about 40% complete, and will then start over. I *think* this is because zotero.sqlite is changing during the backup, which causes Mozy to start over its attempts to back it up (firefox is running during the backup). The effect is that I can't backup the sqlite file. My questions are:

1) Zotero data sync backs up my zotero.sqlite file, right?

2) If the answer to #1 is yes, and if I tell Mozy not to backup the folder that my zotero.sqlite files are in, and my hard drive crashes, this would mean that I would have a partial copy of zotero on mozy (without the sqlite files) and a partial copy on the zotero server (without attachments). Would I be able to merge these two partial copies to get zotero up and running again?

3) In order to exclude the zotero.sqlite file from Mozy's backup, I'd have to exclude all of the other files in that folder. Some of these are sqlite files (e.g., zotero.sqlite.bak, zotero.sqlite.1.bak, zotero.sqlite-journal) and some are other files (e.g., pdftotext-win32.exe, pdfinfo-win32.exe). Does zotero data sync backup these files too? If not, will it be a problem if I loose them (as they wouldn't be backed up by zotero sync or Mozy)?

4) Why is zotero.sqlite updating itself when firefox is open even when I'm not using zotero? Is there a way to stop it from doing this? I know closing firefox would probably do the trick, but this would mean that fire fox would have to be closed when I'm backing up, and I'm on a laptop, so whenever it's not asleep I'm working on it, and using firefox.

I hope I was clear. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Have Mozy back up only the "storage" folder within your Zotero data directory. The remaining information is backed up by the Zotero server or is not important for your purposes.

(Well, the sync server provides one kind of backup-- you may still want to back up your zotero.sqlite to protect against mass deletion or other user-induced harm to your data.)
  • Zotero data sync backs up my zotero.sqlite file, right?
    Essentially, yes, but syncing (to any online service) shouldn't really be viewed as a replacement for regular backups.
    Would I be able to merge these two partial copies to get zotero up and running again?
    Yes. But we still recommend regularly backing up your Zotero data directory.
    Does zotero data sync backup these files too? If not, will it be a problem if I loose them (as they wouldn't be backed up by zotero sync or Mozy)?
    No/No
    Why is zotero.sqlite updating itself when firefox is open even when I'm not using zotero?
    Translator updates. Auto-sync. Maybe some proxy handling. But I can't tell you if those are why Mozy is failing.

For what it's worth, zotero.sqlite.bak in your Zotero data is an automatic backup as of no more than 12 hours ago. But if you can't exclude individual files, that doesn't really help you.
  • Thanks so much for the quick response! So, I'll backup storage only, and I'll figure out how to put the storage together with the sqlite files on the zotero server if I ever loose my local data.