Problems importing, Report ID 1769100110

Hello. I find myself unable to import citations into zotero in EndNote format; that was the workaround I've been using for EBSCO and it worked until today. I updated to the new zotero version and it still doesn't work. I also tried importing in endnote format from Google Scholar; the link I was trying to use is:

http://scholar.google.com.proxy.lib.ohio-state.edu/scholar.enw?q=info:qzOr9ODGJVEJ:scholar.google.com/&output=citation&hl=en&as_sdt=100000000000&oe=ASCII&ct=citation&cd=0

I searched for previously existing threads on this topic; my apologies if there's one I missed.

Also, many thanks to the folks who contribute to Zotero. I just love it and you are to be commended for your work.
  • I too am seeing this problem, using zotero 2.0.6 on a mac with os x 10.5.8, and firefox 3.6.8. The problem did not occur before today, when I updated first to 2.0.5, then 2.0.6, and also updated firefox.

When I click on the "import into endnote" link in scholar I get the "could not save item" error, with a link to known translator issues that did not seem to help.

I also hope I'm not missing something obvious, and also love zotero!
  • Please provide example URLs for Google Scholar.

When reporting problems with sites without stable URLs you need to provide search terms (and, for EBSCO, the particular database in question).

Both work fine for me (though since Google Scholar has a working translator you can also use the address bar icon).
  • edited September 4, 2010
    Sorry about that.

On EBSCO I tried the following search terms: "garud" on Business Source Complete and "fuzzy bunny slippers" on Academic Search Premier. I tried to export the first three hits on each of them into Endnote and none of them worked.

On Google Scholar I tried the following:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar.enw?q=info:6-mhcQUpLI4J:scholar.google.com/&output=citation&hl=en&as_sdt=100000000000&oe=ASCII&ct=citation&cd=9

http://scholar.google.com/scholar.enw?q=info:8JZPrKD1EDAJ:scholar.google.com/&output=citation&hl=en&as_sdt=100000000000&oe=ASCII&ct=citation&cd=14

and they didn't work.

On JSTOR I tried the "export citation" function to export an RIS file from the following:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/256971
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/258888

Obviously, that isn't much of a problem because the address bar works for JSTOR, but I wanted to give it a try, and they didn't work.

Finally, I tried to import the following file, both as a standalone txt file and from the clipboard, and that didn't work either:

Record: 1

TI- STAKEHOLDERS, SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, AND PERFORMANCE: EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE AND THEORETICAL PERSPECTIVES.
    AU- Harrison, Jeffrey S. 1
    AU- Freeman, R. Edward 2
    JN- Academy of Management Journal
    PD- Oct99, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p479-485
    PG- 7p
    DT- 19991001
    PT- Article
    AB- The management of competing stakeholder interests has emerged as a significant topic in the management literature. Related issues are the relationship between stakeholder management and the perception that a firm is socially responsible, and the performance implications of both stakeholder management and social responsibility. Theory and models surrounding these issues are abundant, but empirical research is in an early stage. This research forum reports six excellent efforts to tackle fundamental ideas about stakeholders, social responsibility, and performance. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
    AB- Copyright of Academy of Management Journal is the property of Academy of Management and its content may not be copied or emailed to multiple sites or posted to a listserv without the copyright holder's express written permission. However, users may print, download, or email articles for individual use. This abstract may be abridged. No warranty is given about the accuracy of the copy. Users should refer to the original published version of the material for the full abstract. (Copyright applies to all Abstracts.)
    DE- INVESTMENTS -- Moral & ethical aspects
    DE- SOCIAL responsibility of business
    DE- STAKEHOLDERS
    DE- CAPITALISTS & financiers
    DE- FINANCIAL performance
    DE- PUBLIC relations
    DE- CORPORATIONS -- Investor relations
    DE- MANAGEMENT literature
    DE- COMPETITION
    DE- MANAGEMENT science
    IC- 541820 Public Relations Agencies
    AD- 1 Professor of management, University of Central Florida
    AD- 2 Olsson Professor of Business Administration and director, Olsson Center for Applied Ethics, Darden School, University of Virginia
    FT- 5422
    IS- 0001-4273
    AN- 2415963
    UR- http://proxy.lib.ohio-state.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=2415963&site=ehost-live

I locked up my Firefox when I tried to do that.

I should also mention that I dug out my portable firefox (3.6.8), and tried to import some RIS files before I upgraded to Zotero 2.0.6 (from 2.0.4). I was successfully able to do so. Then I upgraded Zotero and got exactly the same behavior I describe here.

Thanks so much for your help!
    Direct links to exported files from Google Scholar aren't stable. Just provide a URL from the results page and say what you're trying to export.

Exporting from those two JSTOR links works fine for me.

Your pasted file won't work in any version of Zotero, as it's not actually a valid RIS file.
    I'll also note that, while exporting from sites should, in theory, work (and when it works for one person it should work for everyone), if there is actually an address bar icon it's much better to use that, because there are frequently problems with exported files from sites (or just limitations in the bib format specs) that translators correct automatically. (This is the case with, e.g., EBSCOhost.)

So, really, we probably won't spend much time debugging problems with exported files on sites that do have working translators.
  • If a site doesn't have a working translator and exporting isn't working either, though, what you can do is try to narrow it down to a single item that doesn't work, disable the "Use Zotero for downloaded RIS/Refer files" option in the General pane of the Zotero prefs, save the exported file to disk, open it in a text editor, and try importing the record into Zotero via Import from Clipboard. If you can find single records that don't import into Zotero that way, paste them here (between <code> </code> tags in HTML mode) and we can take a look.
  • The problem has disappeared for me, and I did not change any settings or update zotero.... Whatever the reason, I'm delighted. Dan thanks for the quick responses to queries.
  • My problem has also went away; I'm not sure what I did but as you can see, I'm a big noob at this so I'm sure it was my fault.

At any rate, Dan, thanks very much for your patience and help with this.