Bibliography not in alphabetical order as per selected style

Hi all,

I have a problem in word when I insert a bibliography: none of the references are in alphabetical order. I've downloaded Oecologia style (and others) and selected them when I first put a citation in (and confirmed by looking in Zotero Set doc prefs), I add citations then insert a bibliography and it's always in the order as I inserted citations into the doc not alphabetical as it should be.

I've searched through the forums but haven't found anything that will help me.

I have Mac OS X v10.6.4
Word 2004 for Mac v11.0
Firefox 3.6.8
pythonext-2.6.2.20100203
Zotero-MacWord-Plugin-3.0b3
Zotero 2.0.4

Any advice appreciated...

Regards,
  • I just want to flag this as a possible regression in Zotero 2.0.4 - I haven't tested it (and am on deadline, so I won't upgrade until after) - but the Oecologica style certainly should sort alphabetically and I've never seen this type of problem before.
    And, of course, a sorting patch was implemented as part of the last update. Could someone who has already updated test this?
  • I have the same issue. I updated to 2.0.4 this morning (didn't think anything of it, just clicked the update button). The bibliography is now in the order as cited in text. It occurrs with all styles I have tried so far.
  • Same problem. 2.0.3, mercifully still on my laptop, is fine. 2.0.4 in Harvard cites in text order. Not good with a dissertation due in shortly!
  • ugh - not good - Dan - this seems pretty urgent - any chance of fixing this in a quick 2.0.5 release?
  • Same problem here. I tried several styles, but alphabetical order of bibliography is not working.
  • Well that's not good. It's possible this was caused by the sorting patch. Frank? Simon? Someone else want to confirm that that patch caused the problem?
  • Hi everyone,

Same problem here: Citations are not alphabetized when I use the APA 6th Edition citation style. My setup:

I have Mac OS X v10.5.8
    Word 2008 for Mac v12.2.6
    Firefox 3.6.8
    PythonExt-2.6.2.20090920
    Zotero-MacWord-Plugin-3.0b3
    Zotero 2.0.4
  • I've also noticed this applies to multiple in text citations. They are not sorted according to citation style, but rather by the order entered.
  • Will check this out immediately.
  • Same problem. Using Word 2007 and 3.0a4.. I've tried multiple biblio styles and get the same problem for all including custom styles. Thanks to anyone who can figure this out.
  • This does indeed seem to have been caused by the sorting patch. I should have tested more carefully.

I've reopened ticket #1717, and filed a followup patch to address the original descending-sorts problem, this time without breaking sorts in Oecologia (and presumably many other styles). Should be retested, but it seems to work here.

Ouch.
  • edited September 2, 2010
    Updated patch now available in the latest 2.0 Branch dev XPI (not the trunk XPI). If you're running into this problem, please try that and confirm that it fixes the problem. You can then revert to 2.0.4 or wait for 2.0.5 (which we'll put out today). The 2.0 Branch XPI is safe to install.

Thanks to Frank for the quick fix.
  • The 2.0 dev branch xpi fixes the problem. I also tried the 3.0 Word integration XPI, which also worked flawlessly. I'm not sure if those xpi's are actually different things (I'm not a developer) but I am happy they work! Thanks!
  • 2.0.5 is now available with this fix.
  • edited September 2, 2010
    This is awesome work - you guys put a patch out so quickly to fix a bug, very impressive. Thank you so much for fixing the problem so promptly and congratulations on such a great product.

All sorting is as it should be now - downloaded several other styles and they all work fine. One quick question - what does (dev) mean after a downloaded style - does it mean user developed/created?

Regards,
    Martin.
  • Thanks for the quick fix, works fine now!
  • Thanks for the quick fix. However, 2.0.6 sorts differently from 2.0.3 when there are two identical authors with different publications. Here's an example I have (in the list of references):

In 2.0.3.
    Stillman, D. 2007
    ———. 2011

in 2.0.6
    Stillman, D. 2011
    ———. 2007
  • well, that should depend on the style - which are you using?
  • Chicago Manual of Style (Author-date format).

It's the same document, so I wouldn't expect a change...
  • edited September 3, 2010
    I am able to confirm this. The second key is delivering a descending sort, while the style requires ascending. We're still not quite there.

I've revived ticket #1717 (again), and posted a third patch to it, which seems to work with both Chicago and ECLAC. I'm not fully understanding how the sort works, but for reasons roughly explained in the ticket, I think this might be the final tweak.

(Very late here, going to bed. Hoping for good news at sun-up.)
  • Third patch now available in the latest 2.0 Branch dev XPI. Suffice it to say, this should be tested.
  • Third patch still has problems.

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/12752/disambiguate-bug/#Item_6

However, in going back to the code yet again, I finally spotted the underlying problem that prompted the original patch -- it's a small typo which, when corrected, eliminates the need for the other changes. I've revived #1717 yet again to file this latest changefile. The change has been tested against cases reported so far, and against ECLAC.

"It looks good", said Frank, wiping a thick layer of egg from his face.
  • Zotero 2.0.6 makes a mess of APA now:
    Smith, C. (1997, May 31)
    Smith, C. (1998, February 13)
    Smith, C. (2003, March 10)
    Smith, C. (1994a, December)
    Smith, C. (1994b, August 31)
    Smith, C. (1997a, October 7)
    Smith, C. (1997b, October 8)
    Smith, C. (1997c, October 5)
    Smith, C. (1997d)
    Smith, C. (1997e, December 29)
    Smith, C. (1998, October 29)
    Smith, C. (1999, November 28)
    Smith, C. (1997, March 6)
    Smith, C. (2002, January 20)
    Smith, C. (1997a, May 4)
    Smith, C. (1997b, July).
    Smith, C. (1997c, September)
  • anark: As fbennett notes, there's still a problem in 2.0.6. Try the latest 2.0 Branch dev XPI—it's safe to use—and let us know if it fixes the problem. When 2.0.7 comes out, switch back to that.
  • Version 2.0.3.r6640 sorts APA correctly.
  • Thanks again guys for the great support.
  • edited September 8, 2010
    Fixed in 2.0.7, available now. If you were using the 2.0 Branch dev XPI, now would be a good time to switch back.
This discussion has been closed.