Overriding the citation

Is it possible to override the citation text. I know that this is specific to the citation form you have chosen, but in one course I am doing they specifically ask for a course text book to be referenced by a particular string. So rather than what it would come up with, e.g., (Scarre 2005) in this case it should put (HP). Is there an override field that could be used for when this is required - or could be picked up by the citation spec.
  • To my knowledge nothing like an override exists at the moment. Are you pretty keen to use Zotero's auto-cite Word plugin for all your citations? If not, you could of course just enter citations for that one reference manually '(HP).' You'd only need to make sure it ends up in the bibliography, if you require one.
  • I have a lot of citations to that book (about 15). Is there a way to include something in the bibliography without citing it? I guess adding one and then hiding it in word would work if nothing better.

Having a field such as cite-string or something similar would give the option of a citation style being able to pick that up and use it in place of the constructed one from a macro. Similarly it could be used as the key in the bibliography by conditional xml macros.

Also - sometimes the computed citation is not the one you want.
  • RE: "including something in the bibliography without citing it."

I don't know, since I'm not (yet) a regular user of the Word plugin, but it would be great if both that and the converse were possible. My style guide (an implementationh of Chicago) allows the Bibliography to either contain "a subset of the cited works" "the list of cited works" or "a superset of the cited works" (according to the author's and editor's requirements).