Zotero is not able to sync - filename too long

Hello,
my Zotero is unable to sync as it tries to create a file with veeery long filename (even if I try to use Unix touch command it is not able to create such a long filename) - I use ext3 filesystem. I got this synchronization error several times. I have a ticket # 2131466559 for this problem. Please help !
George
  • "create a file with a very long filename"?
    That seems odd - Zotero doesn't tend to "create" files that are synced. Does the error message tell you which file? Could you just change its filename?
  • ~/.mozilla/firefox/3m2npp79.default/zotero/storage/W8DRJ86E/waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaach5baaaaaaalaaaaaafadiaaav9ijqlujmjz5qtbovwkwopfzzvrh3nmetgpuwbwbsaihgdmjbcpp6bwppbycwwvcu22mgshi7u1zhpagctmjo9ibmdkcgkao9ha

How could I change the file name ??
  • Exact copy&paste from error message:

The file 'W8DRJ86E/waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaach5baaaaaaalaaaaaafadiaaav9ijqlujmjz5qtbovwkwopfzzvrh3nmetgpuwbwbsaihgdmjbcpp6bwppbycwwvcu22mgshi7u1zhpagctmjo9ibmdkcgkao9hahbjqck37psifbiwcbydfoigiyqifwixki6rkpgpkbougpqym5ybmz+dojqjnqsiqkgqgieaow==@22' could not be created in the Zotero 'storage' directory.
  • start by going to the folder in your file-system and see what this even is - it's probably part of a snapshot? Maybe you can just delete the file - it has no file ending and it's unlikely that it does anything useful (you could try that by moving it outside of the folder).

If it's a pdf (though I guess it isn't, because there is no file extension), you can change the filename by clicking on it at the top of the right pane in Zotero.
  • Well, there is no such file on my local computer and my Zotero network includes approximately 5 people with 1-2 computers of each ... I am going to check one of the other boxes of my own ...
  • So OK, it is deleted on one of the other boxes running other fs. The deletion should propagate automatically, right ?
  • not sure - you might have to wait for Dan or Simon to come by and clarify.
  • OK, it seems to me that I am a step further with ticket 970988572 ... I erased the file but the sync still does not work :-( What time Dan and Simon could come ? Maybe some server-side edit would be needed ...
  • they tend to come by and fix these things pretty regularly, but be aware that today and tomorrow are holidays in the US.
  • Do you happen to have filesystem encryption (with encrypted filenames) on either the computer getting the error or the computer the file was created on?
  • fcheslack: yes, I have realized it lately - the box I am getting error message on is using encryption, one with the file is just a regular ext3. The Zotero installation having problems is on Ubuntu 9.10 with encrypted home. Recently I was thinking about moving the file database to some unencrypted part of the drive, but I expected "cleaner" solution then just a symlink ;-)
  • Well, for the sake of time I applied a "hotfix" and moved the storage subfolder where the long file was supposed to be stored on non-encrypted part of drive and made a symlink back and it works for me now ... But I would like to hear about some "standard" solution of this anyway .. Thanks for help
  • see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ecryptfs-utils/+bug/344878 for some discussion. This is a general problem with ecryptfs and encrypted filenames. Theres been more discussion on it recently (the last post is from 5 days ago) and it seems like they might fix it; but at this point I think the solution is to not have encrypted filenames.
  • OK, thanks. I clicked on "affects me too" ;-). And it seems to me, that symlink to non-encrypted directory is the solution, Maybe there could be some hints for users in Zotero when it encounters this problem ? Like "Unable to create file blablah, if you are using encrypted fs you should move directory WHATEVER to unencrypted part of drive and ymlink back (or link to some HOWTO on the net for dummies)".
  • Zotero actually does give a warning about eCryptfs some situations. We'll look into why it didn't for you.