For teachers and researchers? How do you organize, reference multimedia?

Hi This is from an earlier post. It seems more appropriate for this Social Sciences forum.

Dear Zoteroastrians:

It'd be great to have a forums about strategies for developing Zotero catalogs in the disciplines. I teach American history and would like to develop what I can "dynamic syllabi" around Zotero: multimedia references for all course materials: bibliographic references, images used in side presentations, lecture notes.

Also, as a student and teacher of visual culture, it is not clear how to reference non-textual material (I'm referring especially to Roland Barthes meditations on the subject in his "Image, Music, Text," for example.) I'd be curious how others are planning on integrating images into their Zotero catalogs. The images can be attached to a bilbiographic reference of a book for example, but it can also stand on its own. Anyway, my specific issue right now is creating these "dynamic syllabi" "dynamic lesson plans."

I'd really like to know how social sciences and humanities folks are building their catalogs. If we could file trade with it, it wouldnt be an issue. Some specific questions:

Is anyone building "dynamic syllabi" with these, including all materials for the class. How are you doing this? By lecture, topic, time period?

Related question: Is there a central building block around which you are organizing stuff? Or do you have multiple systems for referencing?

How are you referencing images? Are there other image cataloging programs that you are using?

Or just any other tricks and tips would be appreciated (conceptual, not technical).

Thanks.
  • I'm interested in this idea of "dynamic syllabii." I guess one obvious way is to use collections and/or tags?

FWIW, I've been working on converting my syllabii to RDF, where the schedule for the course consists of a series of topics, each of which have one/or more dates and readings.
  • If part of your question has to do with the niceties of citations, you may be interested in Elizabeth Shown Mills, Evidence Explained, which has templates for many kinds of online sources. It's primarily for genealogists -- www.legacyfamilytree.com sells both downloadable and hard copies (for c40 bucks).

Pat