Volume and Issue: Newspaper Article

I wonder where to put the volume and the issue of a newspaper article. In the case of a journal article I do have this option but not for a newspaper article.
Thanks
  • You have run into one of the little inadequacies of Zotero's data model. Newspapers should definitely support volume and issue numbers, but they currently do not. I would use Magazine Article in the meantime.

[Zotero people: Can we make a point of addressing the many little data model inadequacies before Zotero 2.1? Place, publisher, volume, issue, DOI, translator, ISSN, ISBN should be added to a great many more types. These are little things that should not require any significant changes to the server or client code, but they would make users' lives much easier.]
  • [Zotero people: Can we make a point of addressing the many little data model inadequacies before Zotero 2.1? Place, publisher, volume, issue, DOI, translator, ISSN, ISBN should be added to a great many more types. These are little things that should not require any significant changes to the server or client code, but they would make users' lives much easier.]
    And it would be great to add "Section" to "journalArticle" : http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/10138/add-section-to-journalarticle/
    Thanks.
  • [There's a wee problem with "place", as it's mapped to both CSL event-place and CSL publisher-place. Would be great to get that sorted out as well.]
  • You know, people here are saying these fields are needed, but aren't citing any practical case for them. I've cited a lot of newspapers in my research, but never come across volume and issue numbers (which seems rather unnecessary given how they're released).

So it's not a big deal, but could we at least document one example of a) a newspaper that includes this information, and b) a style that requires it?
  • I wouldn't include it without an example and I haven't ever seen it, either, but judging by the name, the OP is probably European and I think there is always the chance that conventions there are different (as Gracile has taught us about a number of French conventions) - in Germany issue and volume are at least displayed on the front page of every paper, although I've never seen it cited in an academic paper.
  • The Russian practice is hard to pin down; the most recent standard is GOST/R 7.0.7-2008, and it does not draw a distinction between journals and newspapers as far as this is concerned. The several newspaper citations in that standard do not include an issue number.

My experience is more colored by my use of older sources referring to older newspapers. Most recently, I've been mining the bibliography several articles and dissertations from the 1950s and 1960s, and they generally do not include the date of publication, just the year and issue. I'll see if I can pin down what previous standard was in place to justify this.