CSL 1.0 :: Bold name & initials of 1st author in bibliography ??

I am working on a numbered citation style that requires the name of the first author (not other authors and not editors etc.) to be in bold face in the bibliography. This doesn't seem possible with CSL 0.8. Will this be possible in Zotero once CSL 1.0 is implemented? After examining the CSL 1.0 schema it appears that the change may not make automation of this possible and that I will need to continue to manually dress the bibliography.
  • edited June 12, 2010
    There is a way to accomplish this effect with the citeproc-js processor, but whether it will fully address your needs depends on how the full set of names is to be punctuated.

When a name variable is rendered with et-al-min and et-al-use-first both set to the same value of "1", a subsequent rendering of the same variable (by another names element) will omit the names already rendered. This allows special formatting decorations on the first name, but the arbitration of joins between names is not performed (i.e. the use of ", and" or ", " depending on whether the first-listed name is followed by one, or more than one, other name) -- you would have to use a uniform join to the remaining string of authors, like " with ".

(Note that this behavior is specific to citeproc-js; ordinary processor behavior under the CSL specification would be for et-al-min="2" + et-al-use-first="1" and et-al-min="1" + et-al-use-first="1" to behave in the same way, with no truncation of a subsequent rendering of the same name in either case.)
  • Just to make sure: does the style specify that in all cases the first author should be bold faced [example 1], or does it require that a certain author is bold faced, which often happens to be the first (like in a CV) [example 2].

Example 1:
    Zelle R.M., E. de Hulster, W. Kloezen, J.T. Pronk, and A.J.A. van Maris. 2010. Key process conditions for production of C4-dicarboxylic acids in bioreactor batch cultures of an engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 76:744-750.

Abbott D.A., R.M. Zelle, J.T. Pronk, and A.J.A. van Maris. 2009. Metabolic engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for production of carboxylic acids: current status and challenges. FEMS Yeast Res. 9:1123-1136.

Zelle R.M., E. de Hulster, W.A. van Winden, P. de Waard, C. Dijkema, A.A. Winkler, J.A. Geertman, J.P. van Dijken, J.T. Pronk, and A.J.A. van Maris. 2008. Malic acid production by Saccharomyces cerevisiae: engineering of pyruvate carboxylation, oxaloacetate reduction, and malate export. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 74:2766-2777.
    Example 2:
    Zelle R.M., E. de Hulster, W. Kloezen, J.T. Pronk, and A.J.A. van Maris. 2010. Key process conditions for production of C4-dicarboxylic acids in bioreactor batch cultures of an engineered Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 76:744-750.

Abbott D.A., Zelle R.M., J.T. Pronk, and A.J.A. van Maris. 2009. Metabolic engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for production of carboxylic acids: current status and challenges. FEMS Yeast Res. 9:1123-1136.

Zelle R.M., E. de Hulster, W.A. van Winden, P. de Waard, C. Dijkema, A.A. Winkler, J.A. Geertman, J.P. van Dijken, J.T. Pronk, and A.J.A. van Maris. 2008. Malic acid production by Saccharomyces cerevisiae: engineering of pyruvate carboxylation, oxaloacetate reduction, and malate export. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 74:2766-2777.
  • FWIW, I believe this is related to this issue.

Also, I don't recommend using/recommending non-standard solutions (ones not in the CSL spec).
  • @bdarcus: Your recommendation has been noted.
  • The journal's style sheet requests (not requires) that the first author (example 1) be in bold and that the volume number of a journal be bold. The bold journal volume number is trivial to do with csl but not the first author. The et al. style standard is for articles with 4 or more authors the first three should be listed followed by et al.

Thank you for the comments and suggestions.
  • Is it possible now to do something like this Example 2 above where you can target the specific author names to be bolded? I've tried highlight, but this doesn't work when you have multiple names that need to be bolded.
  • FWIW, example 2 could be handled in a post-processing step, independent of CSL. The elisp implementation has this feature.
  • Ditto with a Lua filter in Pandoc, yes.