vertical-align

Hi
I modified a style for Planta Medica. Everything went smoothly, except for the citation number in Bibliography that should be superscript. It goes like this:

<bibliography>
<option name="et-al-min" value="100"/>
<option name="et-al-use-first" value="1"/>
<layout>
<text variable="citation-number" prefix="" vertical-align="sup" suffix=" "/>
<text macro="author" font-style="italic" suffix=". "/>
<choose>
<if type="book">
<group delimiter=", " prefix=" ">
<text macro="title"/>
<text macro="edition"/>
<text macro="editor" />
<text macro="publisher" />

All fields became superscripted. What is wrong with my csl?
Any help will be appreciated.

Beny
  • edited April 5, 2010
    I was able to replicate this locally. On closer inspection, it turned out to be caused by a wrinkle in the RTF specification (RTF being the markup format used to send text to the word processor). It requires (in its wisdom) a special command to turn off super- and sub-scripting.

I've prepared a small patch that addresses the issue. If all goes well, the core developers will merge it into an upcoming release.

In the meantime, your CSL is correct. :)
  • until then, would adding vertical-align="base" in the following line help? I don't have time to test, but it's worth a try if you're in a hurry.
  • edited April 5, 2010
    The schemas for CSL 0.8.1 (current) and CSL 1.0 (upcoming) do define a value "baseline" for the vertical-align attribute. Three existing styles use it, but since they don't use any super- or sub-scripting, it's effectively a noop there. I can't find it in the current processor source; it looks like it won't have any effect.

Kudos to adamsmith for pointing this out, though; I'd completely missed the "baseline" value, and it wasn't implemented in the new processor either. That's just been fixed.
  • @fbennett: Will this patch solve the related problem I had recently?
    I thought it was caused by the MS Word plugin.
  • Yep, that certainly looks like the same item. Baseline probably won't be implemented in the current processor, but it's not really necessary; if the patch I filed is applied, you'll be able to control the scope of sub- and super-scripting, which should be enough.
  • edited June 16, 2010
    Frank,
    Has the patch been applied? I've still this problem... I can't believe I'm alone: superscript is rather common for edition. Thanks

EDIT: I've fixed up the source myself locally and it's now working: great! But it would be better to apply your patch in Zotero 2.0.4.
  • On its way. Simon ran the fix in a few minutes ago, and it will be in the next 2.0 release.
  • Thank you both!
  • Hi guys,
    It has been a while but is the Planta Medica output style still available in csl?
    I tried to find it without any success.