Converting OpenOffice (odt) to Word (doc)

Is it possible to convert an OpenOffice .odt file into a Word .doc/.docx file and keep the citations as Zotero fields, rather than plain text?

I used to use OpenOffice but am transferring back over to Word w/ 2010 coming out soon. Is it possible to convert the OO documents to Word documents in such a way that Zotero will still recognize the citations?

Thanks.
  • edited March 31, 2010
    Switch to Bookmarks mode in OO using the Doc Prefs button in the Zotero plugin's toolbar, save as .doc, open in Word, switch to Fields, save.
  • Ahhh, I see what I was doing wrong.

I was going to go about doing it that way but the "Bookmarks" mode was not highlighted. I thought that once you had chosen a format you had to stick with it. I realized that if you change the citation style, the Bookmarks option becomes available!

I did end up with some strange unrecognized characters by every footnote, but deleting those is much easier than trying to reinsert all the citations again.

Thanks! =)
  • Hmm, doesn't work properly for me.

In a blank OO document, I wrote the sentence "Now is the time for all good(1) men to come to the aid(2) of their party(3)." where each of the (x) is a random reference in Referencemarks/Vancounver format. Insert a bibliography underneath. Save the document as odt and close.

Re-open the OO document. Open Zotero document preferences, change format from Referencemarks to Bookmarks. The sentence changes to: "Now is the time for all good(1) men to come to the aid{Citation} of their party{Citation}." and the bibliography becomes "{Citation}".

Any suggestions?
  • Hello Everyone,
    what is the new, best method to convert .ODT to .DOC file and keep the zotero citations functioning?
    Thanks from Budapest,
    Benedek
  • Same method dstillman gives above.