Suggestion on Notes

I think it would be helpful to have a button on the page where one can type up the note that saves the current note and opens up a new one. It could be labeled, "Add Note and Open New."

I can add up to 100+ notes on a single item. Perhaps there is an easier way to do this, but I end up having to make 2-4 moves to save a note and open up a new one. Between saving the note, scrolling to the top of the list of notes, selecting title, and clicking add note and sometimes having to select the new note, it can take a lot of time when you are talking about 100's of repetitions. This is why I suggest a button on the page where we type out notes that saves the current one and opens up a new blank one - 1 move, lots of time saved.
  • I like the idea of this too.

To refine what danch70 is saying above, there is no need I think to have "Add note" since notes are added from the moment that one starts typing.

However, there is no "open new" or "add (new)" in the note input window.

The "Add" (new note) is only on the note tab that shows all the notes.

If the "Edit in a separate window" button were a bit smaller, there would be space for an "Add" (which might be confusing) or an "Add New"/"Add Another" button next to it.

It is only one extra mouse move and one extra click.

Hmm...perhaps the solution would be to get used to Keyboard shortcuts (I see that there is CTRL ALT O). Alas they do not seem to be working right now. I'll post an error report on that.
  • edited April 15, 2012
    Keyboard shortcuts (at least on the Mac) seem to be working fine. Cmd-Shift-O for a new note seems easy enough for me.

What I would appreciate, though, is a refinement for this: currently any new note is created as a standalone note, irrespective of what the current focus is. It would be nice if the keyboard shortcut when invoked created a child note of the currently selected item in the library. The same behaviour seems desirable when anything inside an item is selected. Thus a simple Cmd-Shft-O would give a new child note of the same item – which as I understand would honor the OP's wish – rather than create a new standalone note at the bottom of the pile.
  • edited April 15, 2012
    I had missed the "Try to override conflicting shortcuts checkbox" but even when checked, and firefox/zotero restarted the shortcut is not working for me today.

I agree entirely with kithairon's point above that even shortcuts it worked for me, I would be very grateful if CTRL ALT O (in windows) were to create a note depending upon the current focus since most of the time I would want a child note. A new standalone note would take longer to move back to a child note so as to make it best not to use the shortcut key in the first place.
  • It would be nice if the keyboard shortcut when invoked created a child note of the currently selected item in the library. The same behaviour seems desirable when anything inside an item is selected.
    I've implemented this on the 3.0 branch. Thanks.