Curriculum lists

Hi all

I have started using Zotero, and I think it is way cool. I use it for references in my teaching material. The feature about saving pdf and webpages, and then link to then in the bibliography is highly useful. It could be cool to have the web pages as hyperlinks in the bibliography, but according to other styles discussions on zotero.org, I leave that on the wish list :-)

As I am about to compile a list of the curriculum for the exams, it would be useful for me to be able to have the data for the reference in the text - not in the bibliography, nor as footnotes.

Example:
Using "Chicago manual of styles (Full note without bibliography)" gives me footnotes with content like

1. James F. Kurose and Keith W. Ross, Computer Networking: International Version: A Top-Down Approach, 5th ed. (Pearson Education, 2009), sec. 5.5-5.6.

In the text I get a little "1" or, with other styles, something like (Kurose, 2009). I want the entire reference to be in the text.

I have looked through the different styles on zotero.org, but I have not found any style that does this. If no-one have done this, I will continue looking at the csl.

Now to the questions
1) Do anyone have a style that does full in-text references?
2) Any links/hints/help in how to do more advanced stuff with styles?

Any help is appreciated
morten
  • edited March 20, 2010
    This should be pretty simple to do. If you're reading this, drop a note back and I can show you the changes needed on etherpad.

(EDIT: actually, it hardly warrants etherpad. At the very top of the style, in the "style" tag, you'll find an attribute "class" with value "note". Change the value to "in-text". change the ID listed in the "id" tag span a few lines down, save and drop into Firefox. Select the style in Zotero and see what happens. Untested, but that should work.
  • fbennett's idea works. mbnielsen, if you have problems I can give you a custom Chicago style I use this way.

To reiterate, the idea is to have a full citation - but in text, without footnote or bibliograpy.

I have used this approach for annotated bibliographies. There have been discussions of somehow generating bib annotations from item notes - that'd be very cool but actually for me, annotations are a somewhat separate task, better done in a document. So with a style like this, the document is basically a bunch of annotions, with the citations embedded.
  • I finally found the time to implement fbennets suggestions. I took me 15 minutes, mainly because I have never looked at it before. Simple and it works.

This page http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits helped also.

Thank you for helping.