Fail to Sync

Hi,
I use latest firefox and latest Zotero. Since the release of Zotero 2, the sync process is very slow and many times fails. I feel, in beta version the sync was somehow faster than the released version.
Is there any setting that I miss?
regards,
stef
  • edited March 15, 2010
    Many more users are syncing now than during the beta period.

We began to upgrade 1.0 users last night, so the servers are a bit busy at the moment with new users trying to sync. We're working to speed things up.
  • edited March 15, 2010
    Thank you Dan for your prompt reply. I hope zotero tim will solve this problem. Is the paid service work faster? Do they use different server and separate sync?

regards,
    stef
  • No, Zotero File Storage uses the same servers for data syncing.
  • I just got the upgrade notice today for the first time and now my first ever sync says "Upload accepted -- waiting for sync server". Thanks for this thread, hopefully this initial busy period will taper off in less than a week.
  • Dan, your servers must be getting hammered. I ran into sync problems a few months ago with version 2 and went back to version 1. The latest upgrade of Firefox to 3.6 says it's not compatible with Zotero 1, so I had to upgrade to version 2. Again the sync problems; I have about 100 or so articles and am not syncing the pdf files, but sync ran for more than an hour this morning and then finally Firefox locked up. Is version 2 the only option from now on, or will version 1 be made compatible with newer releases of Firefox?
  • Zotero 1.0 will not be updated. If you don't want to use sync, you don't need to use it, but there's no reason not to use 2.0. If you're getting a freeze, start a new thread.
  • but there's no reason not to use 2.0
    Just to add to what Dan is saying - 2.0 without sync should actually be more stable than 1.0 (while also adding additional functionality). I say this because some bugs have emerged with 1.0 (none serious AFAIK) which have been fixed on 2.0, but won't ever be fixed on 1.0 now that 2.0 is the current version.
  • Is this still an issue? I have version 2.0.2. My sync arrow has been spinning for 3 hours. I have a very small library (9.7 MB), so I'm sure it shouldn't be taking this long. I have zotero open on two laptops right now. I've checked to make sure all of the settings are the same for both of them, I've logged and out of both, I've checked the database integrity on both. What else can I try?
  • My sync arrow has been spinning for 3 hours.
    You have a queued upload from five minutes ago.
  • I'm not exactly sure what that means, but the arrow has stopped spinning, only it didn't sync my library. Any suggestions?
  • It means it wasn't actually spinning for three hours—you likely just didn't notice that it stopped and started again.

http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing
  • Hi, I have been restoring data from Zotero server since 30 minutes aprox. My database is not so big and the green wheel has not stopped since that time. Can you help me?
  • have some patience. Sometimes things take longer - especially for transferring a full library - even for a moderate size library and without files we're easily talking 10MB data transfer.
  • Can I "copy" my library to another zotero user.. I'm thinking NOT as a shared library, but a transfer of selected items...