local zotero server

Is there any estimated date for releasing zotero server so that it can be run locally?

Thanks!
  • Great question! Anyone have any new information here? I too would love to evangelize the collaborative version of Zotero within my organization. But, it's got to be local first.
  • this question has come up repeatedly but I've never seen a response from the developers.
  • The developers have responded. See http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5292/is-the-server-code-available-for-download/#Item_3 for example. The summary: it is likely the server code will be released, but that it will be unsupported. I don't think that it is meant to be used by organizations, such as Dulani's, to provide local sync. It is rather most likely meant to be used by developers.
  • I don't think that it is meant to be used by organizations, such as Dulani's, to provide local sync. It is rather most likely meant to be used by developers.
    It has been brought up that local servers could address some organizations' concerns with data secrecy and privacy, sometimes because of legally mandated provisions (health information, for example) or because of trade secrets and the secretive nature of some research (pharmaceutical companies).

As for the server code being unsupported, the open source model means that there may well emerge a support community no less active than that around the Zotero client, and this community will hopefully yield improvements for all users of the code, including Zotero.org. Note that the client project makes no claims of "support" either-- support consists of this forum and the core developers' willingness to troubleshoot issues.
  • The developers have responded.
    Sorry to nitpic but the question was about an "estimated date" - to which "eventually" (in a year-old thread) is not much of a response.

As ajlyon notes, there are quite obvious reasons for some organizations to run their own servers. I would say individuals as well. This situation is a good thing - it will help get more developers involved in the project.
  • yes - and devs have said "after the release of 2.0 final" which would be about now.
    Also, what Bruce(bdarcus) in the thread noksagt links to said.
  • As an academic user, I am unable to use any of the server features of Zotero while server side data is stored in the U.S.A. (due to a legislative conflict between domestic privacy and U.S. security laws). As such without a viable method of hosting our own server I can't use any of collaboration features and neither can my students.

I wholeheartedly support the other requests for the release of the server components (in whatever form they take) and promise not to make any support requests.
  • Same as Tholane. We really need this server here and don't have the time to code one.