Cannot find file after renaming from Parent Metadata

ID: 2144296582

I can attach a file to an entry and open it appropriately, but when renaming from the Parent Metadata, the file is no longer found and cannot be opened. It cannot be opened even from Window's Explorer.
  • what windows version? What Firefox version? I assume you have the newest Zotero?
  • I'm running XP SP3, Firefox 3.5.7 and Zotero 2.0rc5. The file renamed by zotero will not open but If I rename the file and open it in windows explorer, the pdf will open.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for the renaming and the subsequent opening attempt?
  • ID: D767398760
  • What do you mean when you say "It cannot be opened even from Window's Explorer"? What happens?

Also, when you try to open from Zotero, do you get the "File Not Found" dialog, or does the file just not open?
  • When I try to open the pdf from Zotero, my pdf reader opens (Foxit Reader) and I get a dialog that lists the file name and location followed by :"Could not open file. File not found."

If I locate the file on my hard drive and open it with Foxit without using zotero at all, I get the same message. If I open the file with Adobe Acrobat I get a similar error that says: "There was an error opening this document. The file does not exist."

However, If I change the file name from the name assigned from Parent Metadata like this:
    Gash et al. - 2001 - Use of Epoxides in the Sol−Gel Synthesis of Porous

to this

Gash et al.

The file opens without any problem, and I can attach it to a zotero item, although it is not very convenient.

I didn't have this problem with 2.0rc4 or 2.0rc3 . It could be a problem with non-allowed characters in the naming convention?
  • grrr windows. I think you're right - my suspicion would be that it's the em dash between Sol and Gel - what if you manually change that to a regular en dash? Obviously that shouldn't happen.
  • edited February 8, 2010
    Could this be due to the character set limitations of Foxit and Acrobat? I know that Foxit can't open files with Cyrillic characters in their file names (at least not on my en-US computer)-- perhaps the n-dash in Sol--Gel is causing the problem?

Edit: What adamsmith said. And that's an m-dash. My mistake.
  • It's certainly the em dash, but if I save that reference from ACS Pubs on XP, attach a PDF to it, and use the Rename function, I can still open it from the filesystem in Acrobat Reader 8. (Maybe it's a bug in 9?) If I try to open it through Zotero with the Acrobat plugin, I get an empty window with no error. That does appear to be an Acrobat bug, since other file types with the same filename open fine the same way.
  • That appears to have been the problem. I changed the -- to - in the name of the file, and I could open it manually.

Or if I change the parent item name in Zotero, and rename from the metadata, then it will open. It seems to be the way the Title information was displayed on or grabbed from the website.

The original website has this: −
    and a standard dash is this: -