Style Request: Journal of the American Water Resources Association

I would like to request a new citation style for the above journal.

The closest existing style is for the journal Wetlands:
http://www.zotero.org/styles/wetlands/dev

Changes to existing style:

In-text
-For more than three authors use et al. with et al. italicized
-Comma after name, semicolon between multiple citations (Smith, 2000; Jones, 2003; Douglas et al., 2009)
- Citations are ordered by publication year, earliest to latest as above with same years then alphabetical by Author last name

Literature Cited section
- add periods for author initials
- include all authors
- second and sequential authors are initials first then last name
- Before last author put "and" (no quotes)
Instead of parenthesis:
- Add comma after last author
- Add period after year
- Journal Title Has First Letter Capitalized
- Italicize journal name
- No space after volume semicolon
- Add DOI if available
See example below: [exception being journal title is italicized]

Aber, J.D., C.L. Goodale, S.V. Ollinger, M.L. Smith, A.H. Magill,
M.E. Martin, R.A. Hallett, and J.L. Stoddard, 2003. Is Nitrogen
Deposition Altering the Nitrogen Status of Northeastern Forests?
Bioscience 23:375-390.

Books:
-Author format follows journal format above
-Italicize title of Book
- Edition is not included
- # of pages not included
-Make sure publisher is included.

Rodriguez, I. and A. Rinaldo, 1997. Fractal River Networks.
Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.

Edited book chapter
- The book name including "In:" is italicized
- Chapter author(s) 'comma' year 'period' Chapter Title 'period' In: Title 'comma' Editor names (Editors) 'period' Publisher name 'comma' pages 'period'
- Include Pages
See example below

Harvey, J.W. and B.J. Wagner, 2000. Quantifying Hydrologic Interactions
Between Streams and Their Subsurface Hyporheic
Zones. In: Streams and Groundwaters, J.A. Jones and P.J. Mulholland
(Editors). Academic Press, New York, pp. 3-44.

Others:
- Publications by the same author(s) is ordered oldest to newest.
A report is similar to book but:
- Add URL and then accessed date after URL. The word 'accessed' is italicized

Here is their guideline link:
http://www.awra.org/jawra/instructionsforauthors.html

Thanks in advance.
  • edited February 7, 2010
    OK - I've given that a try here:
    http://gist.github.com/297608
    download using the Raw link on the top right, install by dragging the downloaded file to an open Firefox Window.

I've followed published articles more closely than their style guide where the two were contradictory - which unfortunately was the case quite often. This should be pretty good now - any problems let me know.
    Book titles aren't italized, because they aren't in the journal.
    et al. isn't in italics because that's not currently possible.

please report back here in any case - once everything works out we can post this to the repository.
  • Thanks Adamsmith.

I too checked a couple of articles before requesting, and even within an article they were inconsistent. So I just went with their guide....which is different than their most recent issue. I think this particular journal needs to work on consistency.

I see two small things:
    #1 - In Lit Cited please add a comma after last name
    Now: Smith T.J., 1989 blah blah
    Need: Smith, T.J., 1989.......

#2 - Is there a way to have Zotero capitalize each word in the article title?
    e.g From: Interactions between groundwater and surface water
    To: Interactions Between Groundwater and Surface Water?

The first is most important.
    Too bad about the 'et al.' italics thing. I will go through and fix that manually.

Otherwise I see no other immediate discrepancies.

Thank you for your time !
  • I just noticed that in the lit cited section there lacks an 'and' before the last author

Now: Lowe W., G.E. Likens,
    Need: Lowe, W. and G.E. Likens,

With two authors, no comma between authors;
    For three or more authors, there is a comma

Now: Last name, F.M., F.M. Last, F.M. Last, Date.
    Need: Last name, F.M., F.M. Last, and F.M. Last, Date.
  • OK, I have all that, please try again from the link above.
    I noticed they were inconsistent, but also highly amusing - almost looks like they were drunk while making the citation guide (all their examples being about whiskey...) - which is especially amusing for a water journal...

For et al. in italics- this will be included in Zotero 2.1, but until then do note that both word and open office allow you to include formatting in their search&replace -
    i.e. you can simply search for et al. and replace it with et al. in italics.
  • HA! Maybe so., those water resources people are a funny group. Now I have that Willie Nelson "Whiskey River" song playing in my head... thanks...

I installed and all looks good. I will review and let you know after some peers have a look as well.

Thanks for being so fast on these formatting requests!
  • the JAWRA style is now in the repository - please report any problems here
  • JAWRA now has et al in italics on the csl 1.0 repository at https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles and will eventually move to citationstyles.org
  • I am using the JAWRA citation and getting unexpected results when citing two journal articles with the same first author and the same date.

I expected (Liu et al., 2007a; b) but instead got (Liu, Dietz, Carpenter, Alberti, et al., 2007; Liu, Dietz, Carpenter, Folke, et al., 2007)

I checked, and the first and last names of the first author are exactly the same in both cases. Does anyone know why this would be?

Thank you.
  • are you sure those should both be Liu et al.? Note that the fourth author is different --that's why Zotero includes the first four to disambiguate the two sets of authors.

If you have an example from a published article or something explicit from the style guide to the contrary, we can change it in the style.
  • Thanks for the question, I hadn't thought that this might be the right way to do it when the authors are different. The style guide doesn't clarify the issue.

(It says: In the text, for grouped citations for the same author and same year, use the following format: (Black, 1990a, b).)

So I am actually not sure which way it is supposed to be. I am looking for an example in a published article but it is going to take some digging to find this specific case.