Making attachments public / Self-archiving referenced sources

I would like to use Zotero as a means for self-archiving online sources I referenced in a publication to guarantee their long time accessibility. As everybody knows many URLs aren't very stable and content may vanish from the web. But I think the accessibility of referenced sources is essential for an academic text. Unfortunately I can't count on libraries that they will archive the sources as I do when I am referencing books or journal articles.
Self-archiving of referenced sources with Zotero does only make sense if I can make the sources accessible. So I would need to make attachments public. I tried to do that but couldn't figure out how so that I think it isn't supported at the moment. Is there a chance that Zotero will support this feature in the future?
  • You cannot make attachments public. If you create a group, you can share the attachments with other group members, but you cannot share them with the universe.

In the near future Zotero and the Internet Archive will launch the Zotero Commons, which will allow Zotero users the ability to do exactly what you are trying to do. Through the commons you will be able to share files associated with any of your Zotero items with everyone.