Highlighting problem - highlights ALL text .. also need for UNDO button

Using ff 3.5.5 and 2.0b7.6.
In a snapshot of a web page:

After a few successful highlights, when trying to highlight a new paragraph ALL the preceding text also gets highlighted (in effect removing the successful highlights I have made in the preceding text)..

In more detail:

When I click the place I would like the new highlight to BEGIN, all the preceding text gets highlightet, as if Zotero thinks I am marking the END POINT of a highlight, with the starting point being at the top of the page.

The behavior seems to be related to scrolling on the page .. it seems that it only happens on page after I have been scrolling downwards a number of paragraphs

Of course all the preceding successful highlights vanishes as a result - they get "painted over" by the new highlighting of 'everything' - This indicates a need for an UNDO button (even if this bug is removed since an accidental highlighting of all the text is still possible and would destroy all previous highlights without any remedy)

best regards
Anders
  • An undo button would be great for the highlight feature. I would prefer to see functionality that allowed you to first highlight the text within the page and _then_ click the Zotero "highlight text" button.

I've had a problem where I start to highlight at the top of the page and viola, the entire page is highlighted. That is not the fault of Zotero, but having an entire page subsequently Zotero highlighted is. There is no easy way to undo that action but to try and get that entire page highlighted again.

Cheers.
  • crem88 - the second feature you describe more or less exists already - if you select text without the highlight button, then click the highlight button, and then click on the selected text once it will become highlighted.

and yes, undo would be nice.
  • @adamsmith - Ah! It is true. I was missing the final step of clicking on the highlighted text.

Thanks for the tip.
  • any update in regard to an undo function and multicolored highlighting? some enhancements here would be much appreciated..

best
  • The same happened to me today. And I then discovered, that also on the previous snapshot I was reading, highlighting and adding notes to, everything was gone...
  • edited March 7, 2011
    My "Scrapbook" Firefox add-on decided to give me a load of trouble after many years of faithful service. I looked around, found Zotero and thought I'd hit Nirvana. It seemed so perfect. And it still seems that way except for this quirk that makes the highlighting feature basically unusable. To have spent a lot of time underlining and then feel your blood pressure elevating for fear of a slightly misplaced cursor is insane. I can't take it anymore and will check out Diigo even though it sounds a little bloated. I hope that this gets fixed.
  • Annotation and highlighting functionality is no longer maintained and doesn't sync with the server. Annotation support may return in another form in a future version.
  • Looking forward to it. Movable notes would top it off.
  • > Annotation and highlighting functionality is no longer maintained
    > and doesn't sync with the server.

This should be properly advertised, IMHO. I'm sure there are plenty of people who use it and expect it to sync accross their libraries.
  • Done, thanks.
  • Refering to this:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/screencast_tutorials/annotation

If zotero doesn't support highliting and notices in snapshots anymore, is there any hint, what would be a good and easy way to do so? which tools might help to make it easy?
  • @Dan: is there an easy way to know which files have been annotated (commented or highlighted) in the past? I'd like to save my annotations as zotero notes and searching for <span zotero="highlight" or <span zotero="annotation-marker" does not give any result.
  • It could be done via the DB, but not via the UI. Someone could fairly easily write a plugin to do it (and we might do the same in a future version of Zotero, unless we migrate the annotations to some other system).