Add mapping for "series text"

Is it possible to add mapping for series text field?
Generally speaking, why some zotero fields are not mapped? Is it because they are not implemented in csl? In this case, how (i.e. on what basis) implementation in csl is decided? User requests?

Thank you!
  • it's a combination of both - remember that csl and zotero are two independent (thought obviously highly connected) projects.
    In the case of series title there would indeed not be an appropriate csl variable to map this to - could you give an example of a case where the series text would be needed for a citation?
    Yes, Frank who has written most of the new csl version has taken up a lot of user requests.
  • edited December 4, 2009
    1) I'm using series text for the title of a journal. Each issue have a specific title: the main subject.
    e.g.:
    Xavier Lagarde, Brèves réflexions sur les revirements pour l’avenir, APD, t. 50, La création du droit par le juge, 2007, pp. 77-88.
    Author, Title, journalAbbr, volume, series text, year, pages.
    =>series text: La création du droit par le juge

2) I'm also using it for section in a journal when the pagination is continuous along the year *but* only amongst the different section of the journal: therefore you must cite the journal like that: JCP, 1992, I, 3030. (where JCP is the journalAbbr; 1992 = the year; I = the first part of the journal; 3300 = the first page (or more difficult the article number))
    =>series text: I, 3300

Thank you
  • oh man what a mess.
    but why can't you use series title for that? That's mapped as collection-title.

Generally the attitude of the csl people (aka Frank and Bruce) has been not to support stuff that's used for very ideosyncratic solutions. So I'm a little doubtful how much they'll like this as a general idea.
  • Indeed! I realized that I should use a series field while writing my last post... And, you're right, series title seems adequate for journals which have a specific title for each issue. I'll use it.

But in the second case, I'm not really convinced: I've seen a "section" field in the newspaperArticle type => it can be useful to add it in the journalArticle since some journals are divided in different parts with specific pagination/article numbering in each part. [I agree it's an horrible standard of citation. But it's the official one. And it's quite common for old and main french law journals.]
    In my example "JCP, 1992, I, 3030" where can I save the part (I) and the article number (3300)? The part of the journal can be either a name or a number.
    Surely, series or series title can do the job... but 1) it will be absolutely inconsistent with the name of the field: parts of a journal are not series/collections; and 2) it will be inconsistent with the use of this field for issue title (cf. above)

A field "section" would be great... Am I convincing? (of course, I'm open to ideas)

Thanks
  • I think section for journal sounds reasonable - I think there are other journals where that might be useful - I'd suggest putting that in as a separate feature request, referencing your example above.
  • [just in case someone else comes looking for this : https://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/issues/5 ]